The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

SFChron: SanDiego..Next Napa Vlly??

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

SFChron: SanDiego..Next Napa Vlly??

by TomHill » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:32 pm

Interesting article in today's SFChron by JonBonne on wine growing in SanDiego:
SFChron:SanDiegoWineGrowing

I like Jon's comment: "A constant reminder of Southern California's challenges sits just over the hills to the north. Temecula Valley, in Riverside County, demonstrates just how rapidly a local wine economy can devolve into parades of bachelorette limos and oceans of almond Champagne."

Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: SFChron: SanDiego..Next Napa Vlly??

by Jenise » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:23 pm

Good article, thanks for posting. I had no idea all that was going on in Ramona, a town I basically only know of because a friend's son moved there to get a job at the prison that was built there because the area's so lightly populated. Though I lived in Orange County for years and am a Southern Californian by birth with a lot of family in San Diego, like most I tended to go up and down the 405 without venturing afield to discover what lurked beyond the city limits. Except, once, to Julian, a little country town where someone made what I thought back then was a very very credible Sauvignon Blanc. Wonder if it's still there--would think if it were, it would have been mentioned. One of the two other "diligent" wineries he mentioned, and I can't recall if it was Otay or Orfila though I think more likely the latter, also hailed from there and made a very correct and interesting merlot. Knowing that prompted me to laugh out loud at his other best sentence besides what you quote, about the merlot getting lost on the way to Seaworld.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov