The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

August Wine Focus - The Dog Days of Muscadet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: August Wine Focus - The Dog Days of Muscadet

by Tim York » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:11 am

Muscadet Sèvre & Maine sur lie L'Aubinière 2012 - Les Vignerons des Terroirs de la Noëlle - Alc.11.5% - (<€6).
This was my second successful Muscadet lucky dip (out of two) at a local supermarket. It is produced by a wine co-operative at Ancenis, which is part of a vast agricultural co-operative group, called Terrena, not normally the sort of organisation where I would be looking for my wines.

It was quite light bodied, bone dry and very crisp with nice notes of citrus fruit and apple allied to saline minerality and enough stuffing to make a good pairing with cod in a creamy mussel sauce. Good 15.5/20++ QPR and worth a repeat buy.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:25 pm

The Sénéchalière sounds quite delightful.
Not too shabby for a cooperative wine Tim. Last night I opened the `09 Luneau-Papin La Grange which was served with cod and shrimp.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:59 am

It does not get any better than this!

WTN: 2009 Muscadet Luneau-Papin Domaine Pierre de la Grange.

Third and last bottle, $22 Cdn, 12 % alc, good natural cork.

Usual high Luneau-Papin expectations. Light pale lemon, full aromatic nose with typical tones, minerals, sea-shells, apple, ,lemony/lime maybe. Classic!
Dry entry but some ripe fruit here. Crisp, refreshing just as zippy as before. Big depth, long finish, mineral, great acidity naturally. Held up well over 24 hrs, Musky does not get better than this.
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

2008 Domaine de la Pépière (Marc Ollivier) Muscadet de Sèvre

by Charles Weiss » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:50 pm

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:42 pm

Lobster makes everything better.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:28 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Lobster makes everything better.

Yeah, but this was really good while waiting for the lobster to cook too.

I actually prefer a little RS with lobster, like Demi-Sec Vouvray with some age on it.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:54 am

Looks like I am on a roll right now, this was top drawer!

2009 Chereau-Carre Muscadet de Sevre-et-Maine Chateau l`Oiseliniere de la Ramee.

I have been drinking every vintage of the Ramee available here since the early `00s and never had a duff bottle.

Good natural cork, 12 % alc, $20 Cdn, served quite chilled, with baked cod and pan-fried prawns.

Color is a light lemon, nose had typique aromatics....crisp green apples, sea shore reminiscence, minerals, hint of gooseberry. Entry is dry, long finish, seemed to have some petillance without being to the forefront. Tart citrus, "very refreshing" from across the table. So-so acidity, medium plus finish. I would not keep bottle # 2 too long however, drink whilst at this stage.
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:37 pm

My notes have disappeared from a blind tasting of six Muscadets at my house in March this year, but memories linger of four delightful Pepiere Briords, which I ranked 2nd through fourth, 2007, 2010, 2011, and 2004, in that order, although my rankings were without much conviction as I loved every one of them. Not ranked was a corked 2004 Brochard-Guindon Granite de Clisson. But the wine of the night, the one I found the most impressive, and the favorite of almost all the other members of my club, was a delicious 2002 Bernard Chereau Le Clos du Chateau L'Oiseliniere, a wine that could put to shame a lot of white Burgs that cost several times as much as this one.

But I think ranking or points is misleading for Muscadets, a wine that serves well as a role player, its role depending on a lot of things, especially age. To companion raw oysters, my first choices would have been the two young 2010 and 2011 Briords. For slightly more complicated fish dishes I might have chosen the 2004 or 2007 Briords, although they were still a little too close to infancy. For richer fish dishes or contemplation on its own, the 2002 Bernard Chereau Le Clos du Chateau L'Oiseliniere would have been the obvious choice. Now if I can only keep my hands off the remainder of my case of L'Oiseliniere for several more years.
Last edited by Clint Hall on Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Boston

Has anyone tasted the 2012 Briords?

by Charles Weiss » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:10 pm

I really like what you said, Clint, about the choice of "best" Muscadet depending on food and age.

I had a 2010 Briords the other night which matched well, as one would expect, with a simple roasted cod dish.

The 2012 Briords is about to arrive in this market and I'm wondering if anyone has tasted it.

Thanks,
Charles
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

2012 Reserve des Cleons Muscadet Severe et Maine Sur Lie

by Carl Eppig » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:42 pm

The 2010 was reviewed by the 30 Minute Advisor (whoever he/she is) last month. We purchased the 2012 in Trader Joe's yesterday for $7.99 U.S. It was delicious with sautéed flounder, farro salad, and sliced tomatoes. Great dinner. Thanks to all who recommended Muscadet this month!
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Boston

Re: 2012 Reserve des Cleons Muscadet Severe et Maine Sur Lie

by Charles Weiss » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:47 am

Carl Eppig wrote:The 2010 was reviewed by the 30 Minute Advisor (whoever he/she is) last month. We purchased the 2012 in Trader Joe's yesterday for $7.99 U.S. It was delicious with sautéed flounder, farro salad, and sliced tomatoes. Great dinner. Thanks to all who recommended Muscadet this month!

Hi Carl,
I don't look in Trader Joe's often, but I've never seen a Dressner wine there. $8 is an amazing price for Briords these days, even for the basic Pepiere Muscadet. Was that in New Hampshire? I had planned to pick some up today.
Charles
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: 2012 Reserve des Cleons Muscadet Severe et Maine Sur Lie

by Carl Eppig » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:56 am

Was that in New Hampshire? I had planned to pick some up today.Charles

Hi Charles, yes it was the Portsmouth store in the old Newington Mall on Gosslin Road (the exit off of Rt 16 for the Pease Tradeport).
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Boston

Re: Has anyone tasted the 2012 Briords?

by Charles Weiss » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:58 pm

Charles Weiss wrote:
The 2012 Briords is about to arrive in this market and I'm wondering if anyone has tasted it.

Thanks,
Charles

I have Charles.

Charles
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:00 pm

Muscadet Sèvre & Maine sur lie Vieilles Vignes 2011 - Domaine Pierre de la Grange, Pierre Luneau-Papin - Alc.12% - (c.€10) was in a different class from the quite decent supermarket offerings which I have previously reported on this month. Admittedly it cost nearly double but was well worth it.

Colour was the usual very pale and the nose immediately showed its class with saline and gunflint minerals mixed with citrus notes. Whilst no more than medium/light in body, the crisp palate showed fine intensity and good length as well as aromatic complexity which prolonged and built variations on the perceptions from the nose. Very good 16.5/20 QPR.

An additional bonus is that looking for Luneau-Papin on Wine Searcher brought me to a new (to me) wine merchant, who stocks a range of the sort I like best and turns out be a guy with whom I frequently tasted at a now disappeared wine merchant over 10 years ago. And, yes, Bob, he has a dedicated parking facility :) .
Tim York
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Boston

Luneau-Papin

by Charles Weiss » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:20 pm

Tim,
A very good producer in my experience. They have several different bottlings. If you ever come across their Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Sur Lie Le "L" d'Or" grab some. It is very well made and also age-worthy. Costs about $20 here.
Charles
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:36 pm

2011 Vignobles Guy Saget Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Sur Lie “Les Clissages d’Or”
Light to medium-bodied, moderately acidic, bone dry, lightly leesy, with white fruit, mineral, and lightly saline/lightly spicy notes. Good, but certainly not on the level of Pepiere, Ecu/Bossard, etc., though.
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:40 pm

Tim York wrote:Muscadet Sèvre & Maine sur lie L'Aubinière 2012 - Les Vignerons des Terroirs de la Noëlle - Alc.11.5% - (<€6).
This was my second successful Muscadet lucky dip (out of two) at a local supermarket. It is produced by a wine co-operative at Ancenis, which is part of a vast agricultural co-operative group, called Terrena, not normally the sort of organisation where I would be looking for my wines.

It was quite light bodied, bone dry and very crisp with nice notes of citrus fruit and apple allied to saline minerality and enough stuffing to make a good pairing with cod in a creamy mussel sauce. Good 15.5/20++ QPR and worth a repeat buy.

Tim - Thanks for the interesting note. I tried this co-op's Coteaux d'Ancenis Rosé a couple of years ago, and was not impressed; glad to hear that this sounds like a better wine.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:41 am

Andrew Bair wrote:
Tim York wrote:Muscadet Sèvre & Maine sur lie L'Aubinière 2012 - Les Vignerons des Terroirs de la Noëlle - Alc.11.5% - (<€6).

Tim - Thanks for the interesting note. I tried this co-op's Coteaux d'Ancenis Rosé a couple of years ago, and was not impressed; glad to hear that this sounds like a better wine.

Andrew, is Coteaux d'Ancenis rosé ever very interesting? I don't think I have ever had one, nor the red for that matter.

Charles Weiss wrote:
Tim,
A very good producer in my experience. They have several different bottlings. If you ever come across their Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Sur Lie Le "L" d'Or" grab some. It is very well made and also age-worthy. Costs about $20 here.
Charles

Charles, I also bought a "L" d'Or 2005 at the same time for c.€13. I'm wondering when to crack the bottle. It may be at an intermediate stage between lively youth and complex maturity. The guy in the shop said that he had had a fully alive 1976!!
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:29 am

The boys over on the UK forum always get excited when "L" d'Or 2005 (or any other vintage) is mentioned :lol:
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:01 pm

Tim York wrote: Charles, I also bought a "L" d'Or 2005 at the same time for c.€13. I'm wondering when to crack the bottle. It may be at an intermediate stage between lively youth and complex maturity. The guy in the shop said that he had had a fully alive 1976!!

Tim, my last note on it was >4 years ago, so I guess I don't know the answer. I had another 8 months earlier year that was very good with grilled octopus, and they drank about the same over that short period of time.

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Disappointing

by Rahsaan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:38 pm

I was looking forward to the 2001 Luneau-Papin Muscadet Semper Excelsior but it never really got going. It was mostly dull golden nutty appley-oxidized stuff. Not really full-blown oxidation, but dull enough. If I had to guess I would say it is just going older and simple, but it's not really 'dead' and maybe some people (somewhere) would enjoy it for what it is. Admittedly my first time with this vintage of Semper Excelsior, so now sure how representative this bottle is. Although I suppose 2001 was not exactly the strongest vintage.

In short: disappointing bottle.
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:23 pm

Never really got around to trying anything more interesting, but I had this one Muscadet this month. A pleasant wine, though certainly not in the same category as Pepiere or d'Ecu.

2011 Vignobles Guy Saget Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Sur Lie “Les Clissages d’Or”
Light to medium-bodied, moderately acidic, bone dry, lightly leesy, with white fruit, mineral, and lightly saline/lightly spicy notes. Good.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:17 am

Earlier this week I had the 2010 Sauvion Muscadet Maine et Sevre. Stelvin cap. 12% abv. Medium straw color. Green apple and quince on the nose. Medium body and acidity. Might be a good accompaniment to oysters, clams or mussels but I found it a little bit boring on its own. It was somewhat more enjoyable on another evening with garlic shrimp. I have enjoyed some Muscadets from Domaine de la Pepiere but this wasn't of that quality.
Previous