Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

These were a big hit yesterday

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

These were a big hit yesterday

by Jenise » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:26 am

Unfortunately, no picture. But what I needed was something to take to a California Cabernet tasting at Bill Spohn's. Had to be: made at home, border-safe, travel-resistant, finger-foody, and the kind of food you can pass around a table. Oh, and it was going to be a very hot day (by Pac NW standards). I laid awake two nights before pondering the possibles, my mind circling around ingredients like rare roast beef and blue cheese for the wine match but wishing I could just make a salad, as the food at these things tends to be a bit carb-intensive. Too bad, I thought, that crab doesn't go with red wine because fresh Vietnamese spring rolls like some I made last weekend would be perfect...and then it hit me.

Make 'em with roast beef, that fresh-sliced, pretty, rare, solid roast beef (real beef, not that chopped/pressed/formed stuff) at the deli counter! So that's what I did. The beef slices were about 4" by 7-8", a pretty perfect canvas as the rolls would be about 5" in overall length. So I rolled each slice of beef around three-four thin-julienned 4" carrot sticks, a length of green onion top, fresh basil leaves and cilantro sprigs, and then tucked the beef roll inside some soft green lettuce leaf and rolled each in a rice paper wrapper. When I got to Bill's, I cut each roll in half and stood them cut side up on a serving dish. Rice wrappers are just a little sticky--they don't fuse, but they do stick enough to hang onto each other such that the cylindrical rolls will sit upright as a group like a bunch of short pipes. Now, with a cut side up, you can eliminate the messy dipping-sauce-on-the-side problem and instead drizzle half a teaspoon or so of sauce into each roll--in this case, I made a strong vinaigrette with red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, salt, pepper and Maytag blue cheese, all of which would enhance the red wine experience.

Date point: one pound of beef provided about 15 slices, which made 30 two-bite rolls. Perfect cabernet food, and I got my salad. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: These were a big hit yesterday

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:11 am

That sounds delicious, and perfect for the occasion. I'll bet a banh mi type of filling for these - pickled carrot, cuke, jalapeno, daikon - would be good as well. Maybe not quite as cabernet-friendly, though.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:17 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:That sounds delicious, and perfect for the occasion. I'll bet a banh mi type of filling for these - pickled carrot, cuke, jalapeno, daikon - would be good as well. Maybe not quite as cabernet-friendly, though.

All those things would be good too, especially if you wanted to skip the vinaigrette. I had meant to add a length of cucumber to mine but forgot to buy one.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:03 pm

Now that's usin' the ol' (reduced carb) noodle. Well done!
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:44 pm

Genius. Isn't it wonderful how a foodie brain can come up with these perfect ideas with a little "fermentation" time? :)
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)