Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Two!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: What's Cooking (Take Two!)

by Paul Winalski » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:14 am

Dinner last night was Sichuan chicken stir-fried with fish flavorings.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:56 pm

Fresh fennel, onion and potato hash with chorizo a.k.a. Field Roast "grain meat" Mexican chipotle sausage.

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:24 pm

With three plants in our garden producing small white eggplant by the bucketload, I'm looking for lots of recipes, and many of the best come from Asia. Tonight, a sort on Iranian khoresht made with eggplant, onions, garlic, tomatoes and red lentils.

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:59 am

Tonight it is Tomato Beef with Pan Fried Noodles. I use Chinese noodles, cooked, then spread on an oiled sheet pan over night. Then they are browned on each side until nice and crispy. Beef is sliced very thin and browned on both sides, but left rare. A sauce is made with fresh ginger, garlic. celery, onion, green bell pepper and fresh tomatoes. The cooking sauce is a mix of soy sauce, Worcestershire, catsup, hot curry power, water and cornstarch. It is hard to decide which tastes best, the glazy, succulent meat and vegetables on top or the crunchy brown noodles below.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Last night I made a summer minestrone, added shrimp, and served with a spoon of pesto stirred into each bowl. By itself, the soup is rather plain but a spoonful of pesto helps the vegetables go down! (hum along with me...)
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:51 pm

Late summer caprese: Green Zebras, Pyriform Reds, bufala mozzerella, a splash of EVOO and a sprinkle of salt:
tomatoes sm.jpg

And I have enough to do it again! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Summer in a Burger

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:54 pm

Tonight it's Chicken, Zucchini and Fresh Corn Burgers with green onion and cumin, served with a Tomato -Cucumber Relish. A side of brown, organic Basmati Rice with fresh herbs. Served with fresh strawberry-lemonade

Burger recipe adapted from Jerusalem
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:01 pm

Caprese pasta! Caprese, the classic salad of the island of Capri off the coast of Naples, is a summer standby around here. In its traditional form, it's as simple as placing thick rounds of heirloom beefsteak tomato on a platter rubbed with garlic and smeared with good olive oil and a shot of lemon, then drizzling more oil, salt and pepper on top of the rounds, capping each with a thick round of fresh mozzarella (we love Lotsa Pasta's handmade product) and finishing with a garnish of fresh basil chiffonade.

Tonight, though, Mary had a brilliant idea: Take the premise of salsa cruda - fresh tomatoes and basil chopped and tossed, uncooked ("cruda") with hot spaghetti - and convert it to a Caprese version. It's still quick and simple: Dice the tomatoes, dice the creamy mozzarella, and tear the basil leaves into fragments. Mix them quickly with a little olive oil plus salt and pepper, and toss them with hot spaghetti. Mangia. Definitely mangia. And on a hot summer evening, the luscious tomatoes, aromatic basil and proteins and carbs in the cheese add up to a balanced, if light, meatless dinner.

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:30 pm

We went with pasta tonight as well. Ours was linguine with tuna, onion, garlic, capers, raisins, chili flakes, and parsley. Quick, easy, and delicious.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:11 pm

For dinner tonight it is Pomegranate Merlot Braised Lamb Shanks with onions, garlic, cinnamon, cumin, allspice, bay leaf, honey, chicken broth, red wine vinegar, fresh thyme and parsley. Long, slender carrots are added the last hour of cooking. I saw this in the Williams-Sonoma catalog and it looked too good to pass up. To go with it is a dish by Laura Calder, Pommes De Terre a la Boulangere or Potatoes a la Bakery. A rather fussy name for a simple dish of butter, oil onions, potatoes, s & p, fresh thyme and beef stock. The method is what caught my eye. These are cooked at 300° for two to three hours until all the liquid is absorbed.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:57 pm

NY Strip steaks off the grill, Hasselback potatoes, and, for me, the second round of the caprese.
Last edited by Jeff Grossman on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:25 pm

A slab of smoked salmon at the beach this past weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:43 pm

I had a Paella Lawn Party this weekend. Someone took pictures. These were two of the dishes. :D I liked the lemon cheesecake best, but there was no picture of that. :(

Paella.jpg

Fruit tart.jpg
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:58 pm

Grill work tonight: jumbo shrimp, marinated in pesto, skewered, and grilled. I also prepped half a chicken and two ribeye steaks (...while the coals are hot I might as well make several dinners).
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:22 pm

Roasted whole chicken sitting on a bed or onions, stuffed with garlic, lemons, thyme, rosemary. It has been basted with a mixture of soy sauce, butter, garlic, rosemary and thyme.
Two sides: Baked asparagus drizzled with walnut oil, salt and pepper, with Swiss Gruyère cheese and red Serrano peppers sprinkled on top. My mom's risotto recipe which has sautéed onions, and rice, chicken broth, white wine, mushrooms, Beau Monde and Poultry Seasoning. After onions and rice are sautéed, rest of ingredients are added and it cooks until finished. Peeking or stirring not allowed. I grew up eating this on special occasions, very tasty. I changed the recipe a long time ago to use fresh mushrooms. Her recipe called for Haute Sauterne wine, which I can't find here, so I use a dry vermouth.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:32 am

[quote="Jo Ann Henderson"]I had a Paella Lawn Party this weekend. Someone took pictures. These were two of the dishes. :D I liked the lemon cheesecake best, but there was no picture of that. :(

Stunning, Jo Ann! Love the Dungeness crab in that paella.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:33 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Grill work tonight: jumbo shrimp, marinated in pesto, skewered, and grilled. I also prepped half a chicken and two ribeye steaks (...while the coals are hot I might as well make several dinners).

Clever. The shrimp sound great. I might have to copy that idea for dinner tonight.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:27 pm

Block party/drive-in movie tonight, so we have a flank steak marinating in the fridge and I just finished a batch of hot and sour coleslaw. Our movie tonight is Ghostbusters, so we're providing the fixings for s'mores, in honor of the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:46 pm

Block party/drive-in movie? How does this work? And are we invited?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:33 am

Jenise wrote:Block party/drive-in movie? How does this work? And are we invited?

On Memorial Day and (as of today) Labor Day, we do the block party thing, where we block off the street from traffic. It starts around 5 PM, with tables and grills coming out. Everyone brings food, beer, wine, etc., and we sit around each others' yards and eat and drink. The food is not wildly creative but appropriate for the occasion, and the people here are pretty good cooks. There's a bouncy house in our front yard for the little ones and plenty of other stuff to keep them busy. My next door neighbor is both a DA and a DJ, so he has a nice sound system to keep the music going. When it gets dark, he sets up a DVD projector that's pointed at a white tarp stretched between two trees and we watch a movie. So far, we've seen Grease, Mama Mia (not my favorite), and Ghostbusters. Everyone sets up chairs in the yard across from the screen and we pass popcorn and movie candy around. It's a blast.

And yes. Anyone here is most definitely invited for the Sunday of next Memorial Day weekend.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:47 am

A farmers' market dinner, a simple ragout of fresh lima beans and tiny, pea-size Brussels sprouts braised with onions and garlic in Parma butter and a bit of tomato paste until the limas were tender and plump, finished with a small scoop of crème fraîche.

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:34 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:
Jenise wrote:Block party/drive-in movie? How does this work? And are we invited?

On Memorial Day and (as of today) Labor Day, we do the block party thing, where we block off the street from traffic. It starts around 5 PM, with tables and grills coming out. Everyone brings food, beer, wine, etc., and we sit around each others' yards and eat and drink. The food is not wildly creative but appropriate for the occasion, and the people here are pretty good cooks. There's a bouncy house in our front yard for the little ones and plenty of other stuff to keep them busy. My next door neighbor is both a DA and a DJ, so he has a nice sound system to keep the music going. When it gets dark, he sets up a DVD projector that's pointed at a white tarp stretched between two trees and we watch a movie. So far, we've seen Grease, Mama Mia (not my favorite), and Ghostbusters. Everyone sets up chairs in the yard across from the screen and we pass popcorn and movie candy around. It's a blast.

And yes. Anyone here is most definitely invited for the Sunday of next Memorial Day weekend.

How cool! What a great neighborhood you live in; how could you ever move away from people who entertain their neighbors like that?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:35 pm

Robin Garr wrote:A farmers' market dinner, a simple ragout of fresh lima beans and tiny, pea-size Brussels sprouts braised with onions and garlic in Parma butter and a bit of tomato paste until the limas were tender and plump, finished with a small scoop of crème fraîche.

I have never seen baby Brussels sprouts like that. Must be utterly fantastic.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:22 pm

Jenise wrote:I have never seen baby Brussels sprouts like that. Must be utterly fantastic.

I so wanted them to be! :cry: They were from a sweet farmers' market vendor, too, a refugee organization that had gotten a dozen refugee farmers - most of them from Somalia, I think - and helping them raise crops for farmers' market sales. Nice guys, and they had some really interesting ethnic veggies.

The B sprouts looked so lovable that I had to adopt them, but as it turned out, they were little but not tender. I had to cook them to the point of funky and they were still chewy. But I loved the idea of them. :lol:
PreviousNext