Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

So, are you watching Top Chef Masters?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

So, are you watching Top Chef Masters?

by Jenise » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:28 pm

If so, who are you betting on?

My faves are Douglas and Bryan. They consistently make the food I find the most intriguing and impressive. The cerebral, "How'd they think of that?", factor. Neither tends to be crowned the winner of any given episode, but sometimes that's an aberration of the way the contests are set up. Bryan surely would have won the episode before last with his 'Cobb salad', but he wasn't on the winning team and therefore his dish was ineligible for top honors. Other things he's done have been equally fantastic, like the crepinette of venison with coffee and granola he called 'Morning Hunt'--but which lost to a very simple Vietnamese larb salad because that's what the two judges in that instance, a pair of lady butchers, would rather eat.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: So, are you watching Top Chef Masters?

by Jon Peterson » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:49 pm

As you'd guess, Jenise, Liz and I (and our kids) are pushing for Bryan to go all the way AND to sweep the voting for that extra cash to their charity Share Our Strength - No Kid Hungry if I recall correctly. That last show was a nail biter, for sure. I would have been shocked if he's been sent home but it could happen. Why did he pick beets? Who knows! (He does work magic with beets in his restaurants!)

I also don't know what to say about Chef de Cuisine Graeme Ritchie; as good as he is, he hasn't done Bryan any real favors. (His wife, Johna, is pregnant BTW.) He basically runs Volt now that Bryan is splitting his time between Volt and Range with the occasional cameo at Family Meal. He also no longer has the spiked Mohawk hair.

I liked Lynn Crawford, too; sorry she's gone. I am very slowly warming up to David Burke and may not get there before the show is over. I'm sorry but I can't help but think of the Three Musketeers when I see Neal Fraser. Yoon can go anythie as far as I'm concerned but I'd love to eat at his restaurant.

Are you watching the Sous Chef mini episodes online, Jenise?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:32 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:As you'd guess, Jenise, Liz and I (and our kids) are pushing for Bryan to go all the way AND to sweep the voting for that extra cash to their charity Share Our Strength - No Kid Hungry if I recall correctly. That last show was a nail biter, for sure. I would have been shocked if he's been sent home but it could happen. Why did he pick beets? Who knows! (He does work magic with beets in his restaurants!)

I also don't know what to say about Chef de Cuisine Graeme Ritchie; as good as he is, he hasn't done Bryan any real favors. (His wife, Johna, is pregnant BTW.) He basically runs Volt now that Bryan is splitting his time between Volt and Range with the occasional cameo at Family Meal. He also no longer has the spiked Mohawk hair.

I liked Lynn Crawford, too; sorry she's gone. I am very slowly warming up to David Burke and may not get there before the show is over. I'm sorry but I can't help but think of the Three Musketeers when I see Neal Fraser. Yoon can go anythie as far as I'm concerned but I'd love to eat at his restaurant.

Are you watching the Sous Chef mini episodes online, Jenise?

I thought the beet sorbet was an interesting choice, and I approved of it--at least on paper. Just sounded like he didn't take it quite far enough to lock in the kiddie appeal--should have cut it with some other fruit, which would have still been healthy enough. (Not like Sue trying to make Brussels sprouts appealing by burying them in macaroni, cheese and bacon, for instance.) I mean, who would have thought someone could make an eggplant jello, and win with it? Bryan had it easy compared to that. I thought Sang's cauliflower foam was brilliant, if possibly unintentionally so on the level it worked--the kids sure lined up to play with that whipped cream dispenser! I'd have given him the win for that. So much so that though I'm not a fan of foams per se (it's related to my white and creamy aversion) when they're bubbly and vomity looking, the creamy smoothness of Sang's puree had me looking into whipped cream dispensers. They use nitrous oxide instead of CO2.

You and I have a different take on Lynn. I really liked her as a person--she and I could be BFFs--but culinarily I thought she was the weakest of the chefs. She can cook, but she can't edit herself--her platings sometimes made me groan. She even did a three-plop.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:17 am

It was actually Lynn's personality that I liked.
BTW, is there anyway to tell when the last show is expected to air?
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:41 pm

I've been watching and enjoying. I like Bryan too but have to say that his fake laugh is driving me crazy. It kinda sounds like a low-key machine gun. Listen for it. He is truly a culinary genius though, so I can overlook an annoying personality trait.
Agree with Jenise about Lynn. I also thought her platings were far more "pedestrian" than any of the other chefs. Was not surprised to see her go, since it seemed her sous was keeping her afloat anyway.
Was incredibly sad to see Jenn Louis go so soon, as she is a friend's daughter. Recently had him over for dinner in the desert and was a bit intimidated cooking for him! His wife, who passed away last year was also an amazing cook (and person).
I actually like Neal...both his personality and his cooking style.
May stop watching altogether if David gets eliminated. He is so freaking fun to watch and listen to. My kinda guy. He needs to step it up a bit though.

Once again, I'm finding that they are not doing enough with Hugh. It seems they are "scripting" him, so the unexpected witty moments we long for aren't coming through at all. C'mon BRAVO, give him so leeway!
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:56 pm

Carrie L. wrote:I've been watching and enjoying. I like Bryan too but have to say that his fake laugh is driving me crazy. It kinda sounds like a low-key machine gun. Listen for it. He is truly a culinary genius though, so I can overlook an annoying personality trait.
Agree with Jenise about Lynn. I also thought her platings were far more "pedestrian" than any of the other chefs. Was not surprised to see her go, since it seemed her sous was keeping her afloat anyway.
Was incredibly sad to see Jenn Louis go so soon, as she is a friend's daughter. Recently had him over for dinner in the desert and was a bit intimidated cooking for him! His wife, who passed away last year was also an amazing cook (and person).
I actually like Neal...both his personality and his cooking style.
May stop watching altogether if David gets eliminated. He is so freaking fun to watch and listen to. My kinda guy. He needs to step it up a bit though.

Once again, I'm finding that they are not doing enough with Hugh. It seems they are "scripting" him, so the unexpected witty moments we long for aren't coming through at all. C'mon BRAVO, give him so leeway!

You mention Hugh. Are you watching the sous comps on line, then? I haven't been, and Hugh is (disappointingly) pretty absent from the main show. I like David too. His personality in the restaurant wars episode was impressively engaging--he was a great maître d'.

Re Bryan, I get the trait you speak of but it doesn't come across as 'fake' to me. More like self-conscious, and a complete absence of gregariousness. He seems to be a truly good and humble man. Jon of course knows him and can give him a better read on him. Jon?
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:23 pm

Jenise wrote:Re Bryan, I get the trait you speak of but it doesn't come across as 'fake' to me. More kind of a self-conscious, and a complete absence of gregariousness. He comes across as a truly good and humble man. Jon of course knows him and can give him a better read on him. Jon?

That's his laugh and it isn't fake. My kids make fun of it whenever they're together. Bryan is as unpretentious as they come and as down-to-earth as they get so I think self-conscious is a good description of his laugh. He laughs like that in front of groups and he laughs like that if it's just the two of you and he's showing you something funny on his phone.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:42 am

Jon Peterson wrote:
That's his laugh and it isn't fake. My kids make fun of it whenever they're together. Bryan is as unpretentious as they come and as down-to-earth as they get so I think self-conscious is a good description of his laugh. He laughs like that in front of groups and he laughs like that if it's just the two of you and he's showing you something funny on his phone.

That's good to know. I'll try to be a little more tolerant. :) I don't remember that laugh from the first time he was on Top Chef with his brother. I thought maybe it was some kind of nervous, post-stardom affectation he had picked up. He does seem like a great guy and family man. That's neat you know him, Jon.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:38 pm

Jon, are you still somm-ing at the restaurant?
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:10 pm

Jenise wrote:Jon, are you still somm-ing at the restaurant?

No, Jenise. I spent a short period of time at Volt and some time at Range. My time at Range, working with Master Sommelier Keith Goldston, was really fabulous. Keith was the first person in the past 12 years who passed the Master's exam on the first attempt and he is incredibly personable. The Somm at the time at Volt was a certified Somm but no where near a Master level and had no personality. She didn't even want me pouring the first night whereas Keith said I'd be pouring withion 30 minutes, as soon as I learned where all seven wine cellar were. I believe Volt's old Somm is out in Colorado not and everyone seems very pleased about that change.

Anyway - I learned that my intro level certification is a dime a dozen and that most servers in Bryan's restaurants have the same thing. My real chance with Bryan is to manage a retail wine shop planned for Range but it seems far from reality at this time. Maybe I'd rather know him than work for him. While not gainfully employed currently, I would like to get bust sometime in the next month or so. We'll see.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:35 pm

A wine retail shop at Range? That would be cool. Would he also make that part of the restaurant experience? I loved my first visit to Caprial Pence's Portland-area restaurant when she had a retail shop adjacent to the restaurant. You could work from a list, I think, but almost no one did: instead, you chose your wine in the wine shop and paid a corkage fee to have it served to you in the restaurant. I recall enjoying my first Pichon Longueville there, a 1990. I went back over and over because I loved this combination of retail and restaurant, though she eventually closed the retail side. You're no longer working at Total Wine, either?
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:50 am

I was not a big fan of the sales model, Jenise.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:37 pm

Jon, regarding your question of scheduled airings, I wondered too so checked to see if it's on the Bravo site. Strangely, it's not; all I could work out is that next week's episode description includes the words "The final four chefs...." so there's isn't another double elimination in the works. There is probably tonight, next week and then the finale if they stick to the three-chef finale they've been doing in past seasons. At least I think it was three-chef. Not really so sure!
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:49 pm

I asked, Jenise, because I'd like to be at Volt for the finale. I'll be up there tonight and I'll try to find out.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:46 am

SPOILER ALERT! :o

Sang brought Bryan down last night. What a shame because Bryan was so close to winning. To add salt to the wound, Sang wasn't even eliminated for his terrible dish!
Last edited by Jon Peterson on Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:43 pm

Jenise wrote:Oh no! You forgot a SPOILER ALERT! :o

I am so sorry, Jenise. :oops: I didn't even think about it! I will not let that happen again!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:22 pm

It's okay. I just watched the episode and you didn't necessarily give the whole enchilada away.

Speaking of cheese, Doug blew me away again, both in the quick fire and the elimination rounds. Salsa consommé? Brilliant!
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:19 pm

I watched it too. I'm now wowed by Douglas as well. David is losing a little ground for being so scattered and having too many flavors. Wish we could all taste this stuff! How about Bryan's deconstructed guacamole? They seemed to love that also!
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:06 pm

Carrie L. wrote:How about Bryan's deconstructed guacamole? They seemed to love that also!

Bryan and Sous Chef Ritchie (who I am a little disappointed in) are right where they want to to be, I think, right in the middle of the pack. I guess I think of it like a horse race: With most races I've seen, rarely has the winner been the leader from the gate. When the final results are tabulated, aren't all of a chef's dishes taken into consideration? Bryan has certainly had some wonderful ones. I hope he pulls ahead at just the right time to take the whole thing.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:11 pm

Carrie L. wrote:I watched it too. I'm now wowed by Douglas as well. David is losing a little ground for being so scattered and having too many flavors. Wish we could all taste this stuff! How about Bryan's deconstructed guacamole? They seemed to love that also!

That was brilliant. Definitely the second best dish of the quickfire, or as easily deserving of the win though it went the other way.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:17 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:
Carrie L. wrote:How about Bryan's deconstructed guacamole? They seemed to love that also!

Bryan and Sous Chef Ritchie (who I am a little disappointed in) are right where they want to to be, I think, right in the middle of the pack. I guess I think of it like a horse race: With most races I've seen, rarely has the winner been the leader from the gate. When the final results are tabulated, aren't all of a chef's dishes taken into consideration? Bryan has certainly had some wonderful ones. I hope he pulls ahead at just the right time to take the whole thing.

Typically, the most creative thinkers and successful executors emerge from the pack. Rick Bayless in his season was fairly apparent from the start, for instance. Bryan has been too, though he hasn't locked up the wins. But yes and no to your question. First of all, it's not the same set of judges every single episode, though Curtis and Oseland are always there. Ruth and Gail are mostly there; Francis Lam and some other L.A. female I don't really know come and go. It's supposedly an episode by episode thing. No matter how good you are, you blow it and you'll go home. But surely, if and when it comes down to a virtual tie, they'll keep the chef who has been the more inspired contributor because that's who would be the most deserving.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:06 pm

I saw Bryan and Graeme today and, even though I would never ask about TCM, they are so expectant that someone will, they hardly talk at all. They must have taken a blood oath not to reveal anything, which I sure understand.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:51 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:I saw Bryan and Graeme today and, even though I would never ask about TCM, they are so expectant that someone will, they hardly talk at all. They must have taken a blood oath not to reveal anything, which I sure understand.

I'm sure you saw this week's episode? Once again Bryan's genius is the most obvious, but he doesn't win because a guest judge is too conventional in their thinking. Dang, I feel for him!
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:27 am

Jenise wrote:I'm sure you saw this week's episode? Once again Bryan's genius is the most obvious, but he doesn't win because a guest judge is too conventional in their thinking. Dang, I feel for him!

100% agree, Jenise, and is it "conventional thinking"... that's the exact term - I hadn't thought of that! What a risk BV took with his choice of protein and it was obviously wonderful both visually and on the palate. I thought this show would be the one.
Next