Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Giant Zucchini

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Giant Zucchini

by Jenise » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:37 pm

A friend made sautéed zucchini last night using a big zucchini, usually called 'marrow' when it gets to that size, at least in Britain. A local farmer sells them for $1 each. She peeled and seeded it, and sautéed the chunks with garlic and onion until all were lightly golden. My god was that good. I had thirds! I've avoided those giant zucchini all my life never understanding that this was the way to cook them--all the recipes I've read, all the houses I've eaten at, all the listening and talking about food I've done in my life never revealed that what I ate last night was the expected result. I have a new love!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: Giant Zucchini

by Carrie L. » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:18 pm

Good to know. Thanks for sharing! The outside gets so hard on those, I didn't think there was much you could do with them.

Since we're on the subject of zucchini, I tried making something called Zucchini Parmesan Rounds the other night. The recipe has been making its way around Facebook and looked so darned good I gave it a shot to serve as a side with our favorite sausage pasta dish. Even Len liked it and he doesn't usually like zucchini.

If anyone's interested, here's the recipe.

Zucchini Parmesan Rounds

Ingredients
Cooking spray
2 medium zucchini (about 1 pound total)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.

Slice the zucchini into 1/4-inch thick rounds. In a medium bowl, toss the zucchini with the oil. In a small bowl, combine the Parmesan, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Dip each round into the Parmesan mixture, coating it evenly on both sides, pressing the coating on to stick, and place in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.

Bake the zucchini rounds until browned and crisp, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove with spatula. Serve immediately.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:37 pm

Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:16 pm

When I was growing zucchini, I would donate those huge ones to the local homeless shelter, they loved them. I usually stuffed them and that was great too. Now, for the two of us, they are grilled and sprinkled with fresh lemon juice, or cooked in an Italian red sauce, until nice and tender.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:20 pm

More to my point: stuffed is the only way I've ever seen them used!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Carrie L. wrote:Good to know. Thanks for sharing! The outside gets so hard on those, I didn't think there was much you could do with them.

Since we're on the subject of zucchini, I tried making something called Zucchini Parmesan Rounds the other night. The recipe has been making its way around Facebook and looked so darned good I gave it a shot to serve as a side with our favorite sausage pasta dish. Even Len liked it and he doesn't usually like zucchini.

If anyone's interested, here's the recipe.

Zucchini Parmesan Rounds

Ingredients
Cooking spray
2 medium zucchini (about 1 pound total)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.

Slice the zucchini into 1/4-inch thick rounds. In a medium bowl, toss the zucchini with the oil. In a small bowl, combine the Parmesan, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Dip each round into the Parmesan mixture, coating it evenly on both sides, pressing the coating on to stick, and place in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.

Bake the zucchini rounds until browned and crisp, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove with spatula. Serve immediately.

Can't imagine anyone not liking those!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:16 pm

Best use - fill with pasta, bacon and cheese, bake in oven, eat pasta bacon and cheese out of them and then place in compost pile.

OTOH, if you say it was good, I believe you, I've always avoided zukes when they got bigger than a cuke.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:18 pm

Yes, while I am a fan of grilling smaller ones (courgettes) the big ones are best quite browned (I usually use a combo of butter and oil, with garlic).

Can't hear the word marrows without thinking of Hercule Poirot.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:43 pm

Dale, I faithfully read all the Hercule Poirot books (preferred him by far to Miss Marple!!) but it was so long ago I can't remember the marrow reference. Enlightenment, please?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:58 pm

Jenise wrote:Dale, I faithfully read all the Hercule Poirot books (preferred him by far to Miss Marple!!) but it was so long ago I can't remember the marrow reference. Enlightenment, please?

"Zucchini - here today, gone to-marrow!"

(The Brits tend to prattle on about things like vegetable marrows)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:17 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Jenise wrote:Dale, I faithfully read all the Hercule Poirot books (preferred him by far to Miss Marple!!) but it was so long ago I can't remember the marrow reference. Enlightenment, please?

"Zucchini - here today, gone to-marrow!"

(The Brits tend to prattle on about things like vegetable marrows)

And mushy peas....ack!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:08 am

In the Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Poirot has retired to grow vegetable marrows. I was about 12 when I read it and had to look up marrows (in the US South they were all squash - no marrows, no zucchini, no courgettes). I think I also learned aubergine from English mysteries.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:34 am

Dale Williams wrote:

In the Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Poirot has retired to grow vegetable marrows. I was about 12 when I read it and had to look up marrows (in the US South they were all squash - no marrows, no zucchini, no courgettes). I think I also learned aubergine from English mysteries.

Yeah, it took months before I found out what he meant.

In any case, I can eat just about anything, but I have never cottoned to zucchini no matter its size. Must have been a traumatic experience with the plant in my childhood--maybe a bully tried to beat me with a zucchini.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:07 am

Zucchini is the Cream of Wheat of the vegetable kingdom - without any spice, butter, or additions, it is Mr Bland.