Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Spice Kitchens

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Spice Kitchens

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:09 am

I watched an episode yesterday of Love It or List It. An east Indian family were split about selling or buying, but the most important thing to the female was having a spice kitchen and a dance studio. I had never heard of a spice kitchen, but now that I have learned about it, it explains what I have seen so many times in my son's neighborhood near Sacramento. It is a fairly new area, lots of big homes and a beautiful, huge and well maintained park where many games are played by different leagues.

So many times, when Gene and I were walking in the evening with our dog, we would see garages full of different groups, some Indian, some Asian, sitting in a beautifully done garage with a kitchen. We always wondered how they could do that and why. Our son told us that they use that second kitchen when cooking with strong spices. so the odor would not be in their home. I never heard him mention a spice kitchen.
I often cook outside on the side burner of Gene's grill, sometimes, bacon, or a sauté of something I don't want to splatter all over my just cleaned cook top, so in essence I can understand that concept. I also roast all my tomatoes on his grill as I found out what a mess the tomatoes make in my oven, and when harvest season comes, I do a sheet or two of them each week or two. Nice concept, and the spice kitchens I saw on this show were just a beautiful as the main kitchen, but still inside the house and right next to the kitchen. They must be equipped with a very powerful fan, because even with cooking outside, with our huge fan on over the grill unit, some of the odor still comes into the house.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Spice Kitchens

by Jenise » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:20 pm

Friends of ours up here (Caucasian) followed that example and built a kitchen within their kitchen. The inner kitchen is small, almost butler-sized, but larger than what many apartments and small homes have and it has lots of cabinets plus it's own Blue Star range and ventilation system. If they ever hired a caterer, the caterer would love it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:17 pm

I've never heard of such a thing, but it makes perfect sense.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:04 am

If one has a good enough hood installed, a spice kitchen would probably be unnecessary. Fans of Cajun blackened foods would certainly appreciate such a thing.

Mark Lipton