The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Drinking from only one importer for a month?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

Drinking from only one importer for a month?

by wnissen » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:12 pm

I've flirted with the idea of drinking the same wine for an extended period of time (an idea I got from this board, I believe), but the other day I saw a "late summer sampler" from Kermit Lynch that caught my fancy. I think I'm going to try drinking through that case before I drink anything else. It's a little red-heavy for the food we typically have, but it should be fun.

Anyone else tried this?
Last edited by wnissen on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

Re: Drinking from only one importer for a month?

by Shaji M » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:20 pm

I havent tried this, but if I have to drink only from one importer, it might have to be Kermit Lynch. I have found almost all his wines to be non overly-extracted and quite food friendly.
-Shaji
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:29 pm

I haven't explicitly tried, but since I usually only drink on the weekends and try to cluster the types of wines to be similar, it wouldn't be that hard for me. Plus, much of what I drink is either LDM or KLWM anyway. Could probably do it pretty easily with Theise as well.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:59 pm

Shaji, I'm with you. Though I love Dressner (may he rest in peace) and Theise, I don't think there's quite as much variety as Kermit. I've yet to have a Dressner Lambrusco, for instance, though that may be a function of distribution.

Rahsaan, I tend to drink throughout the week, so if I'm disciplined I will get through three bottles a week, assuming no restaurant or non-wine consumption. So that will be just about one month of Kermit. Four whites, two roses, five reds, and a Lambrusco. Can't wait for the case to get here tomorrow.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:55 pm

wnissen wrote:Shaji, I'm with you. Though I love Dressner (may he rest in peace) and Theise, I don't think there's quite as much variety as Kermit. I've yet to have a Dressner Lambrusco, for instance, though that may be a function of distribution.

Dressner and Kermit Lynch had a lot of the same French producers, or at least similar sensibility with more weight on the Loire for LDM, but LDM has always had a more extensive Italian selection, plus now German wines.

That said, variety is not what I look for in wine. I like to drink a month of the same type of wine, i.e. 4 weekends/8 wines of 2011 Loire chenin blanc, or 2009 Morgon, or whatever.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:52 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
wnissen wrote:Shaji, I'm with you. Though I love Dressner (may he rest in peace) and Theise, I don't think there's quite as much variety as Kermit. I've yet to have a Dressner Lambrusco, for instance, though that may be a function of distribution.

Dressner and Kermit Lynch had a lot of the same French producers, or at least similar sensibility with more weight on the Loire for LDM, but LDM has always had a more extensive Italian selection, plus now German wines.

That said, variety is not what I look for in wine. I like to drink a month of the same type of wine, i.e. 4 weekends/8 wines of 2011 Loire chenin blanc, or 2009 Morgon, or whatever.

That's interesting but it wouldn't work for me seeing as how my wife makes the decision to what we will have for dinner and it's up to me to choose what wine we will drink that's right for the food. Some dishes really only go with beer and that's probably where I choose the same brew for a long period of time. Right now an ale from Mendocino Brewing that I read about in Eric Asimov's column in the NY Times.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:18 pm

While it would not be totally ideal, I could do it with Theise no problem.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Thomas G

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:14 pm

by Thomas G » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:54 pm

LDM, Rosenthal, lynch, thiese, and lille would work. But the only importer I've probably drank their wines exclusively for a month would be Fleet Street (via Moore Bros).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:05 pm

Shaji M wrote:I havent tried this, but if I have to drink only from one importer, it might have to be Kermit Lynch. I have found almost all his wines to be non overly-extracted and quite food friendly.
-Shaji

Exactly. Or Dressner.

But to Walt: it was Bob Ross who once drank one wine alone, and it might have been Guigal Cotes du Rhone--I recall that it was both French and modest--for an extended period of time. In a similar vein, years later, we decided to test the same notion but gave ourselves more latitude by confining our choice to one grape rather than just one particular wine, pinot noir. We went ahead and ate Mexican food and whatever else we normally would eat, often foods considered too bold or spicy for a feminine grape like pinot. It was a very interesting and informative experience that changed us a little forever--we learned that most of the style of wine we like is going to go with most of the style of food we like, and the intense focus in spite of the foods serve made us especially sensitive to every possible nuance pinot noir offers. Too, perhaps the thing that surprised us most is that when the month was over, we weren't dying to get away from it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:40 pm

Bob Ross' experiment was indeed Guigal Cotes du Rhone.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:54 pm

And Dressner's bit about drinking a bottle of Marquis Phillips Shiraz every day for 2 months: http://www.datamantic.com/joedressner/?1221
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:05 pm

Unfortunately the farcical details of Dressner's activity were consigned to the dustbin of history when the enemy vessel was destroyed.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:58 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Unfortunately the farcical details of Dressner's activity were consigned to the dustbin of history when the enemy vessel was destroyed.

Well, nearly all of it has. But if you're skilled at using the Wayback Machine...
A predecessor post (missing the second page):
http://web.archive.org/web/200403251941 ... ave+issues
The kickoff of the 60 days of Marquis Phillips:
http://web.archive.org/web/200705172314 ... az+2002&M=
Unfortunately, I couldn't find any of the follow-on posts. However, there is some classic Joe:
http://web.archive.org/web/200406190155 ... ave+issues

http://web.archive.org/web/200312080854 ... ave+issues

And an oddly prescient thread on extruded synthetic corks:
http://web.archive.org/web/200705172314 ... c+Corks&M=

This is all severely off-topic, and I apologize for spamming my own thread with lots of content about neither, really, importers or wine.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:22 am

I would work that hard to read Joe's ravings why? :twisted:
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:43 am

I enjoyed that first link. Where is the to and fro on this forum?!
Sh.., go to Friends and Fun for Coverts nonsense.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:56 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I would work that hard to read Joe's ravings why? :twisted:

Like any other finite resource, once the production has ceased, the price tends to rise out of scarcity. YMMV of course.

Mark Lipton