Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

So, are you watching Top Chef Masters?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: So, are you watching Top Chef Masters?

by Jenise » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:12 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:
Jenise wrote:I'm sure you saw this week's episode? Once again Bryan's genius is the most obvious, but he doesn't win because a guest judge is too conventional in their thinking. Dang, I feel for him!

100% agree, Jenise, and is it "conventional thinking"... that's the exact term - I hadn't thought of that! What a risk BV took with his choice of protein and it was obviously wonderful both visually and on the palate. I thought this show would be the one.

Yes, conventional vs. cerebral. Like on that quick fire, a judge who may not understand Mexican food at all picks the seared scallop sitting on the black bean sauce because he likes scallops, instead of seeing into the cook's mind and recognizing the creativity and technique required to create and deliver a 'taquito' with a sliced avocado wrapper. And obviously it was one of the best tasting too--but it lost because the judge understands a simple scallop better. Must be so discouraging for him! But at least Sang is out of the way now.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:31 pm

September 18th - best show without a doubt. Liz and I were fortunate to watch the episode with Chef de Cuisine Graeme Ritchie.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:05 pm

Oh Jon, I'm so envious! I can hardly imagine how fun that was for you--great episode, and Bryan's genius was finally rewarded. Can't wait for the finale. I'm sure that the win will come down to Brian and Doug, and while I wouldn't begrudge Doug anything I am, like you, rooting for Brian.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Previous