The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

September Wine Focus: Beaujolais!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

2012 Couderts

by Rahsaan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:17 am

Both the 2012 Clos de la Roilette Fleurie and the 2012 Clos de la Roilette Fleurie Cuvee Tardive seem very promising but perhaps now is not the best time to drink them. They each showed dark deep fruit flavors but also their fair share of hard puckery tannins (obviously more in the Tardive). I'm not a gambling man but everything seemed more than in order and I would bet that each would be delightful in future months/years. And quite frankly they were pretty close to delightful now. Not exactly a chore to drink and I did derive pleasure. But I'm saving the rest of my bottles for a while and will revisit them later.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: September Wine Focus: Beaujolais!

by David M. Bueker » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:06 am

Wow. The 2011 Coudert wines just hit the shelves here. Vintages come too fast!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:17 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Wow. The 2011 Coudert wines just hit the shelves here. Vintages come too fast!

These are still on the shelves here and I plan to buy more, but I first bought the Tardives back in July! (Which is about when the new Beaujolais vintage starts trickling in every year, if I remember correctly, although I usually enjoy them more after 6-12 months).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:48 pm

We opened a bottle of the 09 Marcel Lapierre MMIX yesterday afternoon to enjoy with hot crusty homemade bread and butter. It needed about an hour to lose the volatility, and after that drank quite well with it's blueberry fruit overtones. However, maybe it's in an awkward stage I'm not fit to recognize, but it's lost some of the big verve it had when young without replacing it with something else as compelling. I liked it better earlier, and prefer other Bojos now. Also, I might mention that Bob was extremely happy with it until I informed him it was a $40 wine. It just didn't show at that price level.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:37 pm

2011 Marcel Lapierre Morgon (S)
Still as lovely as it was 6 months ago, it makes a strong statement about the character of the vintage as it is quite probably the finest example of this wine that I've had since the '07 edition. Redfruited, light on its feet and with a thrilling spine of acidity, it's a beautiful example of Gamay's more forward side.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:02 pm

Tim York wrote:B

[b]Côtes du Forez La Madone Gamay sur Volcan 2012 – Gilles Bonnefoy
– Alc.11.5% - (c.€9) – made from organically grown grapes.
I needed to look at the map to find the precise location of C.du Forez. It turns out to be to be near Montbrison some 100 km W of Lyon and 40 km NW of St.Étienne in the department of La Loire, not far from that long river’s source. (The Côte Roannaise slightly to the N of Forez also produces some good wines from Gamay which are rarely seen outside France.) On the basis of this bottle the Forez wines are well worth getting to know.

Immediately this wine showed a lot more personality than the Brouilly above. Body was slightly lighter but both nose and palate where a lot livelier showing vibrant red fruit and crisp acidity laced with pepper and minerals and ending with a nicely grippy finish. Eminently moreish :D and I might have opened a second bottle if I had bought one. Not much future, I guess, but right now very good 16/20 QPR!

Thank you for the note, Tim. I tried the 2006 version of this wine a few years ago, and just couldn't get into it, even though the price was quite appealing. It was hard to tell if I was drinking Gamay, or Aglianico from Campania. Glad to heard that the 2012 edition was a success. Frankly, I've done much better with the Côte Roannaise so far; not to mention Anjou Gamay; but I am not giving up on Forez, either. If I find a more recent vintage of this around, I'll try it again.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:30 am

Touraine Gamay Première Vendange 2012 - Henry Marionnet - Alc.12.5% - (c.€12) - no sulphur.

Henry Marionnet is certainly the best known producer of Gamay in Touraine and is arguably the best. He produces a range of Gamay cuvées, some from ungrafted vines, as well as cuvées from Côt, Sauvignon blanc, Romorantin and Chenin, some from very old pre-phylloxera vines. Bettane/Desseauve report that some bottles from the 70s and 80s are still on fine form.

This cuvée is noticeably better than the already good basic Gamay (c.€7) and on a similar level qualitatively to, say, Fleurie from Vissoux though brighter and fresher in fruit and less rich (thick) in texture. Lovely fruity (some raspberry) aromatics on the nose and medium bodied palate, velvety texture, charcoal tang, lively acidity and good length showing a refinement which is unusual in young Gamay. Very good 16.5/20.
Last edited by Tim York on Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:49 am

My `09 Brun Brouilly is no Duboeuf!

WTN: 2009 J-P Brun Cote de Brouilly Terres Dorees.

Cellared for two yrs, $28 Cdn, good natural cork, 12.5% alc. No sediment, served slightly chilled, served with pork schnitzel and steamed veggies. I remember all the positive notes on release but found this wine rather too overpowering.

Still good depth of color, nose has cherry, dark fruits, quite earthy. "Dumb stage" from across the table?

Initial entry thought is dry, strong, not ripe, good acidity. Lean integrated tannins, medium finish. Cherry big structure but not your lighter style Duboeuf! "Time left in the cellar might work for this one" was another comment. Not much change on day 2, not sure about this one but plenty of rave reviews on CT eh.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:54 pm

Tuesday evening and I just got back from the vet with our dog. I missed a really nice wine tasting that started at 6:00 pm so I decided to open a 2009 Moulin-A-Vent by Domaine Des Michelons. While confirming that Gamay isn't my favorite grape, this wine is still pretty nice, I have to admit, especially at und $20 per bottle. Dark, inky purple wine at 13% abv. Sour cherry flavor and a hint of mineralality with a full bodied texture and a long finish.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:05 pm

2009 Domaine Sancy (Bernard Broyer) Julienas. 13% abv. Dark fruit with a sort of "grapiness" elevated by savory elements. This wine grabs my attention and rewards it with smooth fruit, soft tannins, and a tart finish. Somewhat chewy texture. Very nice. Some sediment at the bottom which was filtered out when I poured the last glass through a tea strainer. I had this last evening with sloppy joes.

I also have the 2009 Domaine Sancy Chenas and haven't decided whether to open that one in a few days or a 2009 Domaine de la Chaponne Morgon Cuvee Joseph (elevated in oak casks or barrels). I'm curious about how the Morgon raised in oak will differ from the Morgon I had earlier this month although CellarTracker indicates that the Cuvee Joseph could use a couple more years of cellaring.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:25 pm

JC (NC) wrote:I'm curious about how the Morgon raised in oak will differ from the Morgon I had earlier this month although CellarTracker indicates that the Cuvee Joseph could use a couple more years of cellaring.

I don't know the wine but that makes sense.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:31 pm

Not a lot of Chenas notes around. I think I have only ever drank one. It was a 2006 Granger.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:14 am

Okay. I will open the Chenas Saturday evening.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:09 am

Brouilly 2011 - Château de la Chaize. Drunk with veal kidneys (the others had duck) at a restaurant in Orbec, Normandy, it made a lively and fruity pairing for both dishes and went down all too easily when, my daughter having only taken half a glass because she would be driving home, I found myself with a lot of the bottle to finish. Purer and livelier than my memory of the Brouilly from Carrefour which I wrote up earlier this month. Good.
Tim York
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:03 am

I've enjoyed the Chateau de la Chaize Brouilly the few times I've been able to purchase it.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:35 am

Tim York wrote:Brouilly 2011 - Château de la Chaize. Drunk with veal kidneys (the others had duck) at a restaurant in Orbec, Normandy, it made a lively and fruity pairing for both dishes and went down all too easily when, my daughter having only taken half a glass because she would be driving home, I found myself with a lot of the bottle to finish. Purer and livelier than my memory of the Brouilly from Carrefour which I wrote up earlier this month. Good.

Would imagine nice area to visit this time of year Tim. Normandy has such a lot of history eh. GPS helping you around?
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:03 pm

Yes, Bob, we were very lucky with the weather. There's something of an Indian summer at present and the leaves have hardly begun to turn and fall. The Norman countryside is quite like southern England, very green with small fields surrounded by thick hedges. The human heritage is very rich too.

I've ditched my GPS since I found that I couldn't update the maps on the model I bought. The quite new main N-S motorway through Normandy doesn't feature on it :evil: .

I've just bought a new computer and am struggling with Windows 8 :? . I had to revert to the old one with XP to write and send this.
Tim York
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:31 pm

2009 Sancy (Bernard Broyer) Chenas Vielles Vignes. 13% abv. Cork was tough and hard to extract but came out okay. Dark purple color. Dark fruited with spicy and herbal notes the first evening that seemed to integrate by the second evening. Dark plumskin and perhaps some raspberry flavor elements. Very pleasant. I prefer this to the Sancy Julienas from the same vintage. I had this the second evening with Welsh rarebit.
Previous