Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Which Mayonnaise do your prefer and ....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Which Mayonnaise do your prefer and ....

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:07 pm

Have you tried Best Food's/Hellaman's olive oil mayo, and what is your opinion about it?

I'm a long time Best Foods mayo lover. I've tried going the low fat route, but they are awful, so we just use less regular mayo. Depending on what I am making I leave it out and substitute non-fat sour cream or a type of mustard. I've noticed the olive oil version in stores now, but they only offer it in the large jars. If I hate it then I am stuck with it. Can't find a smaller jar anywhere.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Which Mayonnaise do your prefer and ....

by Howie Hart » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:54 pm

I tried the Hellman's olive oil - not impressed. I prefer the regular Hellman's or the Kraft over anything else I've tried - except for homemade in the blender.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:07 pm

Ditto Howie on the olive oil. It just seemed too thin and not mayo-ie enough. I'll take the hi-test, just less.

And though I've not done it, I've seen a video of making homemade with an immersion blender in an appropriate tall narrow container. Takes about 2 minutes! Or less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbPF_rLpd9o
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:39 pm

Best Foods used to be better than it is now--the texture changed maybe 15 years ago, and that wasn't an improvement. The new consistency is more Jello-like. Not a fan of the Olive Oil version, thought it was greasy somehow.

Best commercially made mayo is the Spectrum organic made with Canola oil. Good flavor, texture and balance.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:24 pm

Jenise, thought you said something in an earlier post about saffola oil being your fave....maybe I have that wrong.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:31 pm

Mary won't buy anything but Hellman's (which is the East-of-the-Rockies equivalent of Best Foods, right?) ... but occasionally we'll make our own from local free-range eggs and good olive oil - not a potent green EVOO - and that's awesome. 8)
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:50 pm

A pox on all mayos! Give me aïoli or give me death! Death by aïoli actually sounds kinda good...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:36 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:Jenise, thought you said something in an earlier post about saffola oil being your fave....maybe I have that wrong.

You outted me: I have two favorites. Saffola in the stores that don't carry organic products, but best of all worlds Spectrum Canola in the stores that do.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:46 am

Jenise wrote:Best Foods used to be better than it is now--the texture changed maybe 15 years ago, and that wasn't an improvement. The new consistency is more Jello-like. Not a fan of the Olive Oil version, thought it was greasy somehow.

Best commercially made mayo is the Spectrum organic made with Canola oil. Good flavor, texture and balance.

Jenise, I didn't think you ate mayonnaise. Period. ??? Something about white creamy stuff...?
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:42 am

Regular Hellman's for us, too. We've tried others and just keep coming back.

Anyone make their own mayo on a regular basis?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:38 am

I agree with Jenise about Best Foods not being as good as it was years ago. When I was growing up, I would stick a spoon in the jar and eat it that way. It was more creamy.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:28 am

Carrie L. wrote:
Jenise wrote:Best Foods used to be better than it is now--the texture changed maybe 15 years ago, and that wasn't an improvement. The new consistency is more Jello-like. Not a fan of the Olive Oil version, thought it was greasy somehow.

Jenise, I didn't think you ate mayonnaise. Period. ??? Something about white creamy stuff...?

Mayo has always been the semi-exception to that rule. I'm easily spooked by it in foods I don't make/control myself, but I love tuna salad, and that requires mayo. I use mayo as a binder in crab cakes, which since I catch Dungeness crab in my back yard I make often this time of year. I use it in potato salad, not that I make it often but, and I like it as the base for artichoke dips. That's pretty much it. I detest it on sandwiches or burgers, where 99% of Americans love it.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:23 pm

We use Cains All Natural (full horsepower) Mayonnaise. Unfortunately for most of you, it is regional.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:12 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:We use Cains All Natural (full horsepower) Mayonnaise. Unfortunately for most of you, it is regional.

This product can be ordered easily online, but warns not to ship if there is a freeze anywhere along the way.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:12 pm

I have heard good things re Duke's (no sugar), and plan on bringing back a jar next time I'm in GA.
A jar of mayo lasts a long time in our house, but tuna salad needs a bit. We do make aioli fairly regularly , but fills a different need.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:52 am

Dale Williams wrote:I have heard good things re Duke's (no sugar), and plan on bringing back a jar next time I'm in GA.
A jar of mayo lasts a long time in our house, but tuna salad needs a bit. We do make aioli fairly regularly , but fills a different need.

You can buy Duke's from Amazon or from the Duke's website. If you are interested, here is what Huff Post has to say about it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/07/dukes-mayo-mayonnaise_n_2412033.html

Also available in the NYC area.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:06 pm

Cains here.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:29 pm

I prefer the full fat Heilman's/Best over all others.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:32 am

Spectrum Safflower is creepy. :mrgreen:

Hellman's in this house.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:16 am

I bought Spectrum's to try, color is awful and I've only had one taste, but did not like the texture. I have not purchased anything with Canola Oil for years. It is made in Canada hence the name Canola, a combination of Canada and oil. Canola is an engineered plant. In addition to the genetic modification, the process of making Canola oil is troubling. The procedure involves a combination of high-temperature mechanical pressing and solvent extract, usually using hexane. Hexane! Even after considerable refining, traces of the solvent remain. Like most vegetable oils, Canola oil also goes through the process of bleaching, degumming, deodorizing, and caustic refining, at very high temperatures. This process can alter the omega-3 content in the oil, and in certain conditions bring the trans fat level as high as 40 percent.

I ordered a small jar of Dukes and it is not bad at all, a little more tangy than Best Foods, creamy, and I think I will like it. My first thought was tuna salad. I have a nice canned tuna supply right now from Island Trollers, so will try it this weekend.