The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2011 Caymus Conundrum RED

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2011 Caymus Conundrum RED

by Jenise » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:33 pm

Just as bad as you thought it was going to be. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: 2011 Caymus Conundrum RED

by Sam Platt » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:17 pm

I just bought two more bottles of the 2011 Caymus Napa Valley bottling on WTSO. That's some pretty good juice. I'm not sure why it was being offered on a flash site.

I've tasted the Conundrum red on a couple of occasions. It seems to me that Caymus just takes a bunch of leftover crap, tosses some sugar in and bottles it. I'm guessing it is wine "made" by the director of finance - "We need margin, people!"
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:44 pm

Not a bad deal, Sam. I have to admit liking good old regular Caymus too. Where do they ship from? I see on the site it says it will ship September 18, which I presume is a hell or high water kind of a thing. Still too hot most places for me to like shipping now.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:23 pm

Jenise,

WTSO ships from New Jersey. You can delay shipment for up to six months and they will hold the wine in temperature controlled storage at no extra charge. We have done so on several occasions including for this Caymus (Nov. 1) . I believe September 18th is the earliest ship date.

I have been quite happy with WTSO. We have started buying quite a bit of daily drinker wine from them. They are very responsive to complaints and took a shipment with cork seepage back without question.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:03 pm

Caymus Conundrum is an oxymoron.
no avatar
User

Joshua Kates

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:48 pm

by Joshua Kates » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:45 pm

Hi,

I have to say, Caymus used to be a go to wine for me, back when they were $20-25. Drank like a good St. Julien, but with more oomph. (Sort of like the '02 Insignia I was lucky enough to find at a decent price at a local restaurant last night.) But,now, and it's not the price, pretty much all I get is blueberries and oak. I have a couple of '06's in the cellar, and I just never find them satisfying. I haven't had any of the special selection in years; is that where there more interesting juice now goes?
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:27 pm

Joshua Kates wrote:Hi,

I have to say, Caymus used to be a go to wine for me, back when they were $20-25. Drank like a good St. Julien, but with more oomph. (Sort of like the '02 Insignia I was lucky enough to find at a decent price at a local restaurant last night.) But,now, and it's not the price, pretty much all I get is blueberries and oak. I have a couple of '06's in the cellar, and I just never find them satisfying. I haven't had any of the special selection in years; is that where there more interesting juice now goes?

I hear you, Joshua. Back in the day, Caymus Estate Cab was a staple of my cellar, but that was back when it retailed for $10-15 a bottle. I never saw the need for SS at its extra price and oak sheen, but I wouldn't refuse a taste if offered, either. Those were the days of Charles Wagner (Père), a crusty old farmer who could intimidate even the most self-confident winegeek. Alas, I long ago exhausted my stash of those wines, and Chuck (Fils) Wagner's vision has not proved very appealing at all. Pity, that.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:16 pm

Jenise wrote:Just as bad as you thought it was going to be. :)

Agree, yuck.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:48 am

Joshua Kate's wrote: I haven't had any of the special selection in years; is that where there more interesting juice now goes?

The special selection is definitely head and shoulders above the standard bottling, though I do enjoy the Napa Valley. I love the 2007 SS and bought up several when I happened onto them for a good price.
Sam

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:34 pm

Sam Platt wrote:
Joshua Kate's wrote: I haven't had any of the special selection in years; is that where there more interesting juice now goes?

The special selection is definitely head and shoulders above the standard bottling, though I do enjoy the Napa Valley. I love the 2007 SS and bought up several when I happened onto them for a good price.

The 04 is smashing. Had one a few weeks ago. Wow.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:57 am

I bought one bottle of the 2010 Special Selection. Will hold it for some time still.