Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

ANDI Scores / Food Nutrient Density

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

ANDI Scores / Food Nutrient Density

by Fred Sipe » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:48 pm

Interesting stuff.

The "ANDI" score is the Aggregate Nutrient Density Index (ANDI) score, developed by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, measures calcium; the carotenoids beta carotene, alpha carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin, and lycopene; fiber; folate; glucosinolates; iron; magnesium; niacin; selenium; vitamins B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B6, B12, C, and E; and zinc, plus the ORAC score X 2. Most importantly, the ANDI scores are based on calories, not volume or weight of food, so a lower-calorie food with more nutrients scores higher than a calorie-dense food.

Here's a list of scores for various foods. The first link is a good quick overview. The second, more comprehensive.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/healthy ... ndi-scores

http://humaneliving.wordpress.com/2013/ ... di-scores/
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: ANDI Scores / Food Nutrient Density

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:46 pm

Very interesting, Fred. So how do we generalize from this? Is it really fair to say, "The higher the ANDI score, the more nutritious/healthy/superfood the item? Or is that too easy? :oops:
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:37 am

Robin Garr wrote:Very interesting, Fred. So how do we generalize from this? Is it really fair to say, "The higher the ANDI score, the more nutritious/healthy/superfood the item? Or is that too easy? :oops:

Not being a true food scientist, that sounds good to me Robin! And I think one of the main keys of the score is that it is based on nutrient density per calorie, not per serving or weight or volume.

The higher the score, the further from "empty calories." Those peeps in Alaska don't raise all that kale for nothing!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:22 am

The higher the score, the further from "empty calories

That is how I read it, as well...I knew that kale was right up there on top. I cannot believe how many different varieties of kale showing up this fall at our Farmer's Market and a lot of it. Even different types of Swiss Chard that I have never seen. I was disappointed that it was so low on the FND scores. I grow chard and we eat a lot of it. I used to grow Lacinato kale but the bugs like it too much.