The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Sancerre, Rioja, CdR, and Israel

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Sancerre, Rioja, CdR, and Israel

by Dale Williams » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:18 pm

With lemon sole, brussels sprouts, and rice, the 2011 Dauny “Clos du Roi” Sancerre. Apples, a little grass, good crispness, light mineral notes. Not profound but a decent middle of the road Sancerre. B-

With a chicken/spinach/feta pizza, the 2003 Lopez de Heredia Gravonia Rioja. I really didn’t like this at first- hints of oxidation and dill, a weird citrus nose that reminded me of Lemon Pledge. But a return after some air was much more pleasant- a full citrusy white Rioja with a long finish. Holds well overnight. B+

Friday we planned a very late dinner, at 7:30 we went to a local cafe for a jazz jam session, featuring (before the free for all) a great trio of experienced pros. Wine list at the cafe is short, I had an Israeli white and Betsy a red from same producer. The Racanati Yasmin (a CS/Merlot blend) was really uninspiring - flat, jammy, sweet edged with a short finish. C
Luckily the Racanati Sauvignon Blanc was more attractive if not exciting. Light bodied, gooseberry and granny smith, not long but at least cold. B-/C+

Betsy had spent a lot of time on prep before we left, so on our return dinner was on the table in 20 minute. Broiled lamb chops, a pasta with butternut squash and sage, arugula with blue cheese, and the 2011 Franck Balthazar Cotes du Rhone. Fresh, peppery, floral, with nice underpinning of dark berry fruit and a hint of smoked meats. Classic Northern Rhone, very light tannin and ready to go. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: Sancerre, Rioja, CdR, and Israel

by JC (NC) » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:52 pm

Your Friday dinner featured some of my favorite foods--I'm drooling.