Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

KItchen re-do, Take One

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

KItchen re-do, Take One

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:27 pm

In another thread, I told Jenise that I'd do a quick little video of our recent kitchen re-do. Unfortunately, I was stupid and held my iPhone in portrait position. :P

Nevertheless, I'll post this short video, and try a better one in the next day or two when the light is good and I have time.

http://youtu.be/xmh5TaDF05U
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: KItchen re-do, Take One

by Jenise » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:30 pm

Wow, Robin, what a sophisticated result--I'm very impressed! It feels so open and clean. You'll never tire of it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:05 pm

Beautiful ! I think the U is the most efficient working space in a kitchen. I like that 1 arm is an open serving area...double duty.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:41 pm

Jenise wrote:Wow, Robin, what a sophisticated result--I'm very impressed! It feels so open and clean. You'll never tire of it.

Thanks, Jenise! To be honest, we didn't change the footprint. We moved into that "U" when we bought the house in 1994, which makes about 40 percent of the kitchen a work area and leaves the rest for open use, small table and chairs, and of course Roy's cat bench. :D We did move the stove to the peninsula from its former location under the garden window (now work space and dishwasher), and I like it even better - it's more of a true triangle, so I can pretty much do everything without moving more than a step or two.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:43 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Beautiful ! I think the U is the most efficient working space in a kitchen. I like that 1 arm is an open serving area...double duty.

As I told Jenise, Christina, the footprint was already there, but Mary did a lot of magic with it, including the serving area. We also got very lucky, through a neighbor who does a lot of high-end finish carpentry work for local restaurants, and managed to liberate that seasoned 9-foot oak plank as the counter/bar top. It's a long way from formica and definitely a one-of-a-kind thing!
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:38 am

I love the cat sleeping on the hamper through the whole thing. :)
Enjoy your new kitchen! It's lovely and looks very workable.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)