Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Sichuan-style snow pea-tofu stir-fry

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

RCP: Sichuan-style snow pea-tofu stir-fry

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:34 pm

Sichuan-style snow pea-tofu stir-fry.

It's funny how the "correct" modern transliteration for the spicy Chinese regional cuisine that I learned and loved as "Szechwan" has become "Sichuan" in recent years, but once I figured out that "Szechwan" was the old patriarchal colonialist "We'll tell you how to spell your name" thing, I'm down with the modern form. Which is actually probably something like "川菜", if I'm spelling that right.

But that's not important right now. What's important is that I threw together a pretty quick, pretty good Sichuanese dinner on short notice tonight.

* Sliced and diced a half-block of leftover tofu that needed to be used pretty soon, and cut about 8 ounces of fresh snow peas into similar-size chunks. Whacked a smallish sweet onion into similar squares, and stir-fried them all together with a bunch of minced garlic and ginger, some dried red-pepper flakes, black pepper and (shhh!) some green El Yucateco green habanero sauce.

* After the stir-fry was fried, I hit it with a quick sauce mix of Chinese black beans and garlic, soy sauce, a shot of leftover Oloroso sherry, a shake of brown sugar and a good squeeze of lemon juice.

* Simmer briefly to finish, check seasonings, thicken with a bit of cornstarch and serve with rice. Dinner probably didn't take 30 minutes to finish - 45, tops - and tasted just fine.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Sichuan-style snow pea-tofu stir-fry

by Jenise » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:44 am

Now that's my kind of stir-fry. I love tofu, and am a sucker for plentiful snow peas.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: RCP: Sichuan-style snow pea-tofu stir-fry

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:16 pm

Beautiful dish Robin, love snow peas.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski