The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Greywacke PinotGris Marlborough '11..(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Greywacke PinotGris Marlborough '11..(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:30 pm

1. Greywacke PinotGris Marlborough/NZ (14.0%; www.GreyWacke.com) 2011: Light yellow color; lovely perfumed/floral/PG/apple blossome/mango/pear quite perfumed/aromatic nose; soft floral/apple blossoms/mango/PG/appley totally dry quite attractive flavor; long spicy/apple blossom/mango bit soft dry finish; could use a bit more acid but very attractive aromatics; maybe a bit on the simple/one-note side; quite a pretty PG and fairly priced. $25.00 (AV)
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

Re: WTN: Greywacke PinotGris Marlborough '11..(short/boring)

by Neil Courtney » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:18 pm

Greywacke was set up by Kevin Judd, once the wine-maker at Cloudy Bay. One of the top line wineries in Marlborough. He is also a very talented photographer and takes all the photographs for the labels. The wine costs $NZ25.45 here.
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:48 pm

Tom, if you see the Greywacke Sauvignon Blanc, don't pass it up. You will not come away saying "on the simple side". It's one of the best new Sauv Blancs I've had in some time.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:04 pm

I once had the pleasure of sitting with Kevin for an evening of tasting through many of his wines. He's a very interesting guy. As a winemaker he is very hands-off, using wild yeast, barrel fermentation etc.

The Sauvignon Blancs are very good, and I am not usually a fan of the varietal. These I liked. The Sauvignon Blanc Wild was wonderful. The Chardonnay was excellent, as were the Pinot Noir. I didn't love the Pinot Gris, although it was well liked around the room. My favorite of the night was the 2010 Pinot Noir, which I preferred over the 2009 (tasted later).

I found it interesting that Kevin's winemaking is so hands-off, but his photography (to my eye) is very stylized and hands-on.

A winery to watch.

Greywacke event with Kevin Judd and the New Plymouth Wine Tasting Club
New Plymouth Hotel
Tasted Thursday, November 08, 2012 by MRichman

This was a very interesting tasting. Winemaker and owner Kevin Judd, head winemaker for Cloudy Bay for 25 years, presented his whole range from his new project, Greywacke. It was fascinating to taste the consistent style no matter what the grape. Kevin seems very hands on in the vineyard and hands off in the winery. Most of these wines are made with wild yeast, spontaneous fermentation, extended lees contact, barrel fermentation and relatively little winemaker intervention. All of the wines had fantastic feel and texture and shared many of the same savory, lime characteristics. These are wines of character. Perhaps they will not be to everyone's taste, but I think they are interesting and worth trying.

FLIGHT 1 (7 NOTES)

2012 Greywacke Sauvignon Blanc
New Zealand, South Island, Marlborough

Very nice. Bright grassy acid, steely with an intense cut. Floral and almost rich underneath. Long bracing finish, elegant and expressive. I'm not a Sauvignon Blanc fan but this was very good.
B

Post a Comment
2010 Greywacke Sauvignon Blanc Wild

Bright, grassy, lime citrus acid. Smooth with lovely silky texture, soft, butter oak, quite a nice roundness for the grape. What a white Burgundy would be if it were Sauvignon Blanc (if that makes sense). I'm not a big fan of the grape so I don't seek it out, but I'd have to say this is one of the best Sauvignon Blancs I've tasted. Lovely.
B+

Post a Comment
2010 Greywacke Chardonnay

Deep and textural with broad, creamy, yeasty, buttery malo fruit under bright, lemony acidic fruit. Some herbal minty-ness. Nice feel and texture. Good mix of old and new style with long broad finish. Can taste the lees, French oak and malo. Smokey, flinty, mineral, lime. Very interesting wine and very enjoyable too. Excellent wine.
B+

Post a Comment
2011 Greywacke Pinot Gris

This wine was VERY popular around the room, although I didn't like it as much as other people did. Certainly was the most popular wine of the night. Smooth, silky, oily, generous texture. Quite dense and heavy for a Pinot Gris. A bit on the sweet side, broad, herbal and very complex. Certainly a-typical Pinot Gris, probably the most complex wine I've had from that grape. Interesting but a bit overdone in its style. Worth a try, in fact I bought a bottle to try again in the future. Not a wine for a light, breezy Pinot Gris drinker.
B-

Post a Comment
2011 Greywacke Riesling

Bright with lime acid, steely but weighty for a riesling. Almost off-dry, this had lots of green apple and chalky, tacky minerality. Broad and savory, chewy.
B/B-

Post a Comment
2010 Greywacke Pinot Noir

Dark, savory, coffee grounds, soy and umami. Nice and dense with a long meaty finish and a dollop of acid. Would easily mistake this for Martinborough, although with slightly higher limey acidic component. Well built, complex, integrated with a bit of pretty flower petal and some smoke. My favorite of the night.
B+/A-

Post a Comment
2011 Greywacke Riesling Late Harvest

Dense and thick but not heavy. Could use a lot of bottle age. Long smoky finish, meaty and savory with good texture. I found this a little short on acid.

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Thanks.....

by TomHill » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:22 pm

Matt Richman wrote:I once had the pleasure of sitting with Kevin for an evening of tasting through many of his wines. He's a very interesting guy. As a winemaker he is very hands-off, using wild yeast, barrel fermentation etc.
The Sauvignon Blancs are very good, and I am not usually a fan of the varietal. These I liked. The Sauvignon Blanc Wild was wonderful. The Chardonnay was excellent, as were the Pinot Noir. I didn't love the Pinot Gris, although it was well liked around the room. My favorite of the night was the 2010 Pinot Noir, which I preferred over the 2009 (tasted later).
I found it interesting that Kevin's winemaking is so hands-off, but his photography (to my eye) is very stylized and hands-on.
A winery to watch.

Thanks, Matt, for the detailed notes. I plan to try the SauvBlanc now. Would like to try the Pinot & LH Riesling, but haven't seen them
here in NM.
Tom
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:41 pm

Sauv Blanc has always been Kevin Judd's calling card. It's what put Cloudy Bay on the map, which subsequently put NZ Sauv Blanc on the map.

I don't know what distribution is like in the USA, but they are a small new winery which Judd owns himself, so they may not have huge money behind them. That said I'd be surprised if they weren't aiming at wide distribution in the USA at some point (if not already).
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:02 pm

I think it was actually Hunter's Wines that put NZ Sauvignon Blanc on the map. In 1986 Hunter's won The Sunday Times Vintage Festival in the UK with an oak aged Sauvignon Blanc. The wine world started taking notice of NZ SB. Cloudy Bay was waiting in the wings.
http://www.hunters.co.nz/

Try to get your hands on a Cloudy Bay Te Koko Sauvignon Blanc. Alternative style, oak aged SB and very, very good.
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:22 pm

Thanks for the history lesson!
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:57 pm

I bought a Greywacke Pinot Noir 2010 through Village Wine Cellars in Ann Arbor, MI, and took to MoCool, along with Dog Point Pinot Noir 2010.
Interesting to compare these two as they are made at the same winery (Dog Point), although the winemaker's influence makes these wines quite different.

Anyway, maybe it is just a matter of asking your retailer if he can get the wines in for you if the wines are not part of their standard stock. This is what Village Wine Cellars did for me. Great service.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:13 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:I bought a Greywacke Pinot Noir 2010 through Village Wine Cellars in Ann Arbor, MI, and took to MoCool, along with Dog Point Pinot Noir 2010.
Interesting to compare these two as they are made at the same winery (Dog Point), although the winemaker's influence makes these wines quite different.

Anyway, maybe it is just a matter of asking your retailer if he can get the wines in for you if the wines are not part of their standard stock. This is what Village Wine Cellars did for me. Great service.

Sue, in the U.S. it's can be that simple--as long as the wines are carried by a distributor with whom that retailer has a relationship. I'm lucky both labels are distributed here in Washington--btw, still looking for another bottle of that Dog Point SB. Wow.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov