The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Taltarni Poyferre Poujeaux Kenwood Grahams

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Taltarni Poyferre Poujeaux Kenwood Grahams

by Bill Spohn » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:54 pm

Blind tasting notes.

2005 Tantalus Riesling (BC) – had this a little while ago. Continues to show a good varietal nose, and good acidity.

1988 Taltarni Cabernet – I’d been to a tasting the previous day with John Duval (ex- Grange winemaker) and thought I’d continue the Australian theme (this was an anything goes tasting) so pulled out this mature example of the antipodean art. Made by Dominique Portet (his brother, Bernard was winemaker at Clos du Val in Napa and their father was régisseur at Lafite – why do so many wine producer sites fail to include any mention of previous winemakers?) who now runs his own Yarra based firm with his son. Wet stones and some damson fruit in the warm mellow mature nose, and the group got as far as cabernet fairly quickly, but stumbled about on location. Aided by the warmth of the nose, they finally hit on Oz. Smooth wine with a supple feel and long elegant finish. A style almost unknown today from the area.

1998 Ch. Leoville Poyferre – I had trouble with the nose on this wine, which seemed possibly corky for a long time, but I think it eventually cleaned up. Nonetheless, the acidity and lack of fruit, a definite hollow sense to the wine still makes me suspect its health. Too bad.

1998 Lesec Les Espalines Gigondas ‘Cuvee les Tendrilles’ - 70% Grenache, 25% Mourvedre, and 5% Syrah, this Giggie showed as a dark wine with fairly warm, ripe, sweet nose, but there wasn’t much heat in the mouth. Decent length, at peak now. It developed a nice white pepper nose.

1989 Ch. Gressier Grand Poujeaux – this Moulis had a dusty nose instantly recognizable as claret, good fruit levels and well balanced with soft tannin and adequate acidity. The finish was nicely long. A very good showing for this wine! I have some 1986 I should take a look at soon!

2000 Kenwood Jack London Cabernet – a friend had been down at the winery when he saw an amazing thing – packs of four different vintages for sale for $80 - $20 a bottle of wines that normally sell for far more – a clearance price on older wines. 2000 wasn’t exactly a stellar vintage, but this wine as a good wine. Nice light slightly sweet fruit in the nose, balanced and tasty, medium long. Not the usual heavy hitter, but a very nice wine for an unbelievable price.

2003 Osoyoos Larose – the Gruaud Larose joint venture in BC has produced some very nice wines and some durable ones. At ten years of age, this was still showing some purple at the edges, a nose of mocha and black fruit, good palate presence and length. Serious wine, well made.

2002 Daniel Lenko Meritage (Niagara) – another Canadian wine, this time from the eastern side of the Rockies, from a small producer in Ontario. Dark wine, sweet nose of dark cherry, and in the mouth a pronounced chocolate component and a chalky mouth feel. Very nice and at peak.

2006 Golden Mile Zinfandel – this is one of the few BC wineries that makes Zin, although as global warming makes it more reliable to ripen, we’ll see more. Sweet ripe nose, good fruit levels and while not exactly a complex wine, a fairly satisfying one with a medium finish. Looked at my cellar list and see a half case is in there somewhere – time to get into it. This winery later changed it’s name to Road 13 (I prefer the old name). This wine carries alcohol of 15.3% well, must be almost a record for a BC wine to have that sort of alcohol!

1983 Grahams – at first I thought this must be a Dow or Warres as it didn’t seem very sweet right off the bat. Cassis and blueberry in the nose, and some heat, the wine still quite dark, with dark edges, soft, and ultimately sweeter than it had appeared at first, long and smooth finish. Some nice berry fruit (strawberry?) on palate. I think this one is ready for prime time and should hold a long time. I go back and forth between this and the 85, but often think that the 83 suits me a bit better as it shows less sweet.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Taltarni Poyferre Poujeaux Kenwood Grahams

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:53 pm

2002 Daniel Lenko Meritage (Niagara) – another Canadian wine, this time from the eastern side of the Rockies, from a small producer in Ontario. Dark wine, sweet nose of dark cherry, and in the mouth a pronounced chocolate component and a chalky mouth feel. Very nice and at peak.

Bill, having a good laugh here. I am east of the Rockies and have to go a lot further to find Ontario :lol: .
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Taltarni Poyferre Poujeaux Kenwood Grahams

by David M. Bueker » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:58 pm

That lower level of sweetness is why I love Dow. Sounds like the '83 Graham would be right up my alley.
Decisions are made by those who show up