The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Blinds!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Blinds!

by Saina » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:54 pm

My Californian friend, Wade, was again in town so we met up with a few friends for a night of blind tasting.

Moutard Champagne Vieilles Vignes Cépage Arbanne 2004
Spicy, fruity and lacking all that stomach acid/vomit aromas that are a sign of Champagne. Very rich palate, tiny bubbles, seems quite aged structurally though the fruit aromas seem primary. It seemed like Alsace Pinot Gris but with some bubbles in it. Weird, but very nice if you like a heavy, fruity bubbly.

Krohn Lágrima White Port NV
Oxidative in style and savoury despite some sweetness. Actually very attractive though I have usually thought white Port needs some tonic water to become interesting.

Egon Müller Scharzhofberger Spätlese 1995
Slightly oxidative but wonderfully pure Riesling aromas (probably my only guess this evening that was right! :D ); quite rich and sweet (seemed more like Auslese and from a warmer area to me) and also quite evolved so I was thinking it was a ripe and powerful vintage like '89 from further south like Pfalz. I need more practice with blinds.

Lopez de Heredia Viña Tondonia Reserva 1998
On my first sniff (and knowing who bought this) I was sure this was the youngest vintage of white Musar. Oxidative, slightly oaky still, rich, waxy, racy, weird but lovely. LdH whites and Musar seem to be very confused in my mind. I would need to try some side by side because in my mind they are indistinguishable from each other.

Beaulieu Vineyard Georges de Latour Private Reserve Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 1974
A legendary vintage. But the problem probably was that it had only had one day rest upright after a trip from California so it was cloudy. With Nebbiolo I haven't found that fine sediment problematic, but with Cabs it often seems to do harm to the aromas. The aromas weren't too nice. But the palate was quite marvellous: still some ripe fruit showing, sunny, but with still enough structure to keep it all moreish and with enough aged character to make me fall in love with it though the nose wasn't all that nice.

Ferrando Carema 1964
Corked.

Ch. Montus Madiran 1995
I was at first thinking of a traditional Chianti because of the sandalwood and cherry aromas, but then someone pointed out that it had some Cab aromas and I thought that, too, made sense so I was off to the Loire and thinking Cab Franc. But no: the meaty, graphite, cherry and sandalwood aromas belonged to Tannat. Rustic, rigid, but not too structured; palate-cleansing and moreish. Meaty. Lovely wine.

Treloar Le Maudit 2011
100% Carignan. Sweet and ripe fruit but with a slight touch of funk and a general savouriness despite all that sweet fruit. Good structure. Lovely wine.

Baumand Clos de Sainte Catherine Coteaux du Layon 1999
Nice spice and glue aromas, lots of botrytis; rich, a bit low in acidity IMO, but still very nice. It evaporated quickly from my glass.

Winzergenossenschenschaft Königschaffhausen Spätburgunder Weissherbst Eiswein 2008
A Baden tongue twister. And a tongue pleaser. This was awesome! Sweet-savoury aromas, something slightly vegetal; very sweet, very high acidity and very moreish for such a super-sweet wine.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Re: WTN: Blinds!

by Brian Gilp » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:36 pm

Yours is the second recent note that the 1995 Montus is finally open for business. Good to know since I killed too many at too young an age. Wonder when the cuvée prestige may come around?