The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ridge Zin YorkCreek '05...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Ridge Zin YorkCreek '05...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:04 am

Tried this last night w/ my ravioli:
1. Ridge Calif Zin YorkCreek/NapaVlly (89% Zin/11% PS; 14.5%; Bttld: May 2007; Drk: 3/07-3/12-3/13: EB) 2005: Med.dark color w/ no bricking; strong vanilla/Am.oak some raspberry/Zin/spicy/bit peppery slight alcoholic/ripe pleasant enough nose; soft bit alcoholic/fumey/ripe strong Am.oak/vanilla/bourbon light raspberry/Zin slight earthy flavor w/ light/astringent tannins; med.long strong Am.oak/vanilla/bourbon bit tannic/bitey/astringent light spicy/raspberry/Zin slight earthy finish; dominated by the Am.oak w/ some pleasant raspberry/Zin fruit lurking in the background; a singularly unthrilling Zin that's probably going nowhere fast. $28.00 (Z-List)
1. YorkCreek is, of course, FritzMaytag's vnyd atop SpringMtn. Fritz & Paul worked together in Chile back in their PeaceCorp days...when the world was a much simpler place. When Fritz bought his vnyd, he offered Paul first crack at his grapes. This is, of course, the source of the famed YorkCreek PS. The '71 Ridge YC PS was probably one of the most monumental Calif red wines I ever tasted, at 25 yrs of age.
This wine, alas, was not a PS. I have never been particularly impressed by the Zin/Merlot/Cab that Ridge has made from YC grapes. Until recently (when Paul insisted to Fritz that they make the picking decisions), the Ridge YC Zins tended to be on the overripe side, often pretty alcoholic & fumey. This Zin was not, particularly, of that paradigm. It was just a Zin that didn't have a whole lot to say to me.
Ohhh...forgot to mention....I followed YCVnyd from the very start. Goes w/o saying I suppose.
Tom