The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Huet, ESJ, Burgs, Saar, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Huet, ESJ, Burgs, Saar, etc

by Dale Williams » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:23 pm

With grey sole in a caper butter sauce, sauteed tomatoes, potatoes, and a salad with figs, the 2011 Bosco Falconeria Cataratto. Deep golden color, lemony on both nose and palate,
good freshness. Will buy again. B+/B

With teriyaki salmon, pasta with tomatoes, sauteed mizuna, 1991 Jadot “Clos des Couchereaux“ Beaune 1er Cru. A little ashy at first, fruit came out with some air, red fruit with some sandalwood, but a little short and probably tiring. B/B-

With chicken sausage, squash, & caprese, the 2011 Leitz Rudesheimer Magdalenenkreuz Riesling Spatlese. Pear and lime, sweet with a mineral core, needs a bit more nerviness. B

My birthday was coming up but Betsy can’t cook that night, so we invited 3 couple of old friends for dinner Sunday night. Half of them are avoiding gluten (!!!) so I was thinking about rice, and we came up with a rather Asian accented menu. Nobody is a winegeek but me, but they gamely tried everything.

While Betsy was prepping for sitdown courses I greeted people on patio. I pulled some
teriyaki chicken wings off grill and shucked couple dozen oysters while we tried a bubbly and a Chablis

NV Bernard Bremont “Cuvee Prestige” Champagne Brut

Full, classy, sassy. Big with bread dough, honey and citrus, plenty of acid backbone here. A-

2008 Brocard “Valmur” Chablis GC
Quite tight, though with the oysters you could get some of the saline/seashell mineral notes. Full bodied, good acids, shy. Better on day 2. On day 1, B-, day 2, B+

We move inside for spinach/tofu/miso Napoleans, with a couple more wines

2002 Huet Vouvray Petillant
No premOx here, very fresh. ,Apples and lemon zest, baked bread, soft petillance, good length. A-/B+.

2002 Remi Jobard “Les Charmes” Meursault 1er cru
Full, hazelnut, ripe pears, not as good a match with the slightly spicy dish as the Huet. B+

Main course was bo ssam with all the fixings (Koreanstyle pulled pork with sauces, rice, etc in lettuce wrapes) and, Brussels sprouts with kimchee and bacon

2001 Edmunds St John “Bassetti” Syrah
The day before the hound had her birthday tea party, but only 4 dogs attended this year, and it was too early for wine. So this night we toasted Lucy (after blacking out the “ti” in Bassetti). Drinking quite well, with a nose of smoke and bacon. Deep dark berry fruit, nice balance, in the groove. A-

1992 Jadot “Chouacheux“ Beaune 1er
Clipped, pruney with some maderized notes, not sure if this is cooked (drop of seepage at top edge of cork) or just OTH. C-

1996 Chevillon Nuits St George VV
Lots of soil notes on top of a base of dark fruit, some tea and herbs, medium bodied, mature and giving. B+

1994 Zillliken Saarburger Rausch Kabinett Riesling
This really IS a Kabinett. Light sweetness, good acids, time has brought a pleasant smooth mouthfeel. Ginger, apples, peach blossoms. Good finish. B++

One of my gifts was a puffball mushroom the size of my (big) head. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9YVNGpMvAttdG5Kd0pPOEtNWDQ/edit?usp=sharing

Monday grilled slices to make base of some “pizzas”, with various toppings (broccoli/olive/feta, gorgonzola/tomato/onion, and tomato/basil). The reds all showed oxidation, but the Huet, Zilliken, & Brocard showed well.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Huet, ESJ, Burgs, Saar, etc

by David M. Bueker » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks for that ESJ note. I have one left...decisions.

Most 2011 Germans need more nerviness-for now. I bet that 10 years down the road they will be just fine. Remember when we thought the 1997s were too soft?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:31 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Thanks for that ESJ note. I have one left...decisions.

Most 2011 Germans need more nerviness-for now. I bet that 10 years down the road they will be just fine. Remember when we thought the 1997s were too soft?

They're not???

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:52 am

Dale Williams wrote:One of my gifts was a puffball mushroom the size of my (big) head. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9YVNGpMvAttdG5Kd0pPOEtNWDQ/edit?usp=sharing

Monday grilled slices to make base of some “pizzas”, with various toppings (broccoli/olive/feta, gorgonzola/tomato/onion, and tomato/basil). The reds all showed oxidation, but the Huet, Zilliken, & Brocard showed well.

That is some mushroom!

And an interesting approach to pizza.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:53 am

Mark Lipton wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Most 2011 Germans need more nerviness-for now. I bet that 10 years down the road they will be just fine. Remember when we thought the 1997s were too soft?

They're not???

Mark Lipton

Not any more. They have shed a lot of their fat, and become very, very drinkable.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:07 pm

I don't have a lot of experience with 1997s, but have generally been pleased in last couple years, even with so-so producers like Berres and Schmitt Wagner. JJ Prum is excellent. And last year the 1997 Reinfold Haart Piesporter Goldtropchen Kabinett: This is a lovely example of a aged Kabinett from what I believe is a fairly low acid vintage. Not at all flabby, it's got some verve, but the fruit profile is a lovely blend of ripe peaches, cherry, and some tropical notes, rather than a more appley style. Full, long, plenty of life left. Just a hint of petrol. This holds well over couple of days. A-/B+

Rahsaan, I just googled Giant Puffball recipes and found that. Not obviously a real pizza, but worked very well. I used 4 central slices, froze ends for another use
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:38 pm

Dale Williams wrote:...even with so-so producers like Berres and Schmitt Wagner.

Oh don't let Salil catch you saying that... :twisted: