The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Winemaking question: strange MLF reaction

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Winemaking question: strange MLF reaction

by Brian Gilp » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:19 pm

So I have a 5 gallon batch of Chard going right now and while its not completely done with alcoholic fermentation its real close. I have not taken an SG but its been fermenting for two weeks and the rate is really slow. Decided to go ahead and inocluate with a VP-41 culture and when I did it immediately reacted releasing a burst of gas and foamed up as if there was some type of reaction. It was short lived and now an hour later it appears no different then before inoculation. I have never seen anything like this before and while I don't really think anything is wrong thought I would check to see if anyone has seen this or knows why it may have happened.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Winemaking question: strange MLF reaction

by Howie Hart » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:56 am

More than likely the addition simply triggered a release of dissolved CO2, not really a chemical reaction. Nothing to worry about. Sometimes I've made sugar adjustments after fermentation has started by dissolving the sugar in a small quantity of the wine and adding it to the fermenting wine and foaming happens.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

by Brian Gilp » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:12 am

Thanks Howie. Was not too worried but having never seen this type of response before just had to ask.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:30 am

I think Howie is correct.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:17 am

I´m with Howie on this one, too.

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:39 am

Hi Brian,
Totally agree with Howie, the addition just caused an electrostatic reaction resulting in the release of CO2. Was this a glass carboy or “Better Bottle” (plastic carboy)?

Salute
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

by Brian Gilp » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:43 am

It's in glass. I have some better bottles but just can't make myself use them yet. As long as I have glass open I will use it. Not sure why I can't seem to go there as I bought them with intentions of using them. Would that make a difference?
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:20 pm

While helping out in a “Home Winemaking’ course at a local LHBS (Local Home Brewing Shop), the “foaming” occurs more often in the plastic carboys than the glass carboys (but I’m pretty sure there are other factors at play-such as temperature, pressure, amount of CO2 present (fast/moderate/slow primary fermentation), pH, amount of alcohol present, etc). If you ever drank soda or Champagne (God forbid) in a plastic cup you probably noticed CO2 bubbles clinging to the plastic cup (more so than a glass cup). I get more of a “tickle” when drinking from a glass cup than plastic cup. Just seems to me that “escaping” CO2 from an “out gassing” wine in a plastic container will "linger" longer in the "headspace" before being expelled. Soda manufactures actual look for plastic bottles that enhance this “foaming” (I guess they feel this makes their product more “appealing”).

Salute
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:44 am

There's lots of talk these days about when to introduce the MLF innoculant. Some advocate doing it pretty soon after pitching yeast. The old shibboleth about waiting until the end of primary fermentation might be, well, full of gas.