Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Chanterelle..how do you like em?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Chanterelle..how do you like em?

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:53 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Sounds very good - but to make it even better., what abouit some diced sauteed bacon added.....

Gotta be careful about the smoky pork. It would easily overwhelm the gently fruity flavor of the mushrooms.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:06 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote:Sounds very good - but to make it even better., what abouit some diced sauteed bacon added.....

Gotta be careful about the smoky pork. It would easily overwhelm the gently fruity flavor of the mushrooms.

Yup - don't use smoky bacon don't use maple bacon. Just adds a grace note to the shrooms.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:25 pm

So, I picked up some chanterelles today. Sauteed them in butter with shallots, garlic and thyme. Deglazed with a little Bual and then I realized that I had no cream in the fridge. But I did have my homemade yogurt, so I finished them with some yogurt. After that, the mushrooms topped some broiled yellow tail snapper. Nice, and went well with a nice, crisp Pecorino wine, Salidini Pilastri.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:02 pm

I sauteed a bit of chanterelles with shallots, tarragon and thyme, finished off with a bit of white wine (the Viognier I was having with dinner) and mixed them in with some rice, alongside some totally beautiful tiny petrale sole filets (3 filets were 0.4 lb). With a green salad, it was a great supper!
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:43 pm

This is good timing for this thread. We see chanterelles in Sacramento around one day out of the year, and they're typically in the $25 - $40/lb range (meaning I never buy them). We're in Portland for the weekend, though, and I just picked up a pound at the farmers' market here for $8. They'll go home with us and probably get cooked up tomorrow.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:54 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
GeoCWeyer wrote:sauteed in butter with minced shallots, then sherry or a good Italian or Spanish brandy to deglaze the pan...ending with some heavy cream, salt and white pepper. Served over toasted cracked wheat bread. It doesn't get any better.

Sounds very good - but to make it even better., what abouit some diced sauteed bacon added.....

Just so the bacon isn't too strongly smoked. Maybe a cinnamon rubbed bacon might really be interesting. I think the cinnamon and the bacon flavors would really really be great with bit all! Both need to be subtle.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
Previous