Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Pasco Project 2012

no avatar
User

lewis.pasco

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:41 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Pasco Project 2012

by lewis.pasco » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:39 am

Bottled last Tuesday, almost 1 week ago.

This is the 1st bottle I've opened since the bottling itself, and was from 1 of the 1st three cases off the bottling line (following Beit El's powerful and rich 2012 Carignane the same day.)

I am often surprised by wines that I think I know intimately. Hopefully it's a pleasant surprise, especially if it's a wine I've made and in this case my first ever wine for my own label. So I am surprised right now by my first few sips of this wine: it's softer than I expected it to be, given how it tasted out of tank the last month or so, and much more like I thought it would be when I decided to take it out of barrel and blend and bottle it before (or in actual fact during) the next harvest.

It's remarkably soft for its composition of 59% Cabernet Sauvignon, 37% Merlot, and 4% petite Sirah. The oak is very well integrated, and that had been a real fear for me at some points prior to bottling, that it wouldn't be seamless but rather like a fat oak racoon sitting on a favorite lawn-chair...

I wish it had a bit more green to it, especially herbs on the nose, but it doesn't. It shows a bit of cured tobacco rather than fresh green herbs. I suppose that will make it more agreeable to the crowd that disdains any little notes of green.

Still working on the label, I hope many of you will give it a try when it's available: ~Chanuka in Israel, ~Purim in the US. As Rogov would finish - 120 NIS, K!
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

Re: Pasco Project 2012

by David Raccah » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:00 am

Awesome! I was not as in love with the new 2012 Carignan as I was at the barrel tasting, what went wrong? It went more closed and tight. Oak changes things of course, but this shift was far more herbal and closed, IMHO.

I hope your wines are still as lovely as we had them last...
David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

lewis.pasco

Rank

Ultra geek

Jerusalem, Israel

by lewis.pasco » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:17 am

Hi David!

When did you re-taste the 2012 Beit El Carignane? At The River wine event a month or 3 ago? Do you have a note about it that you can send me or via private email?

I don't recall if we goosed that wine with some SO2 prior to shipping the samples to The River for their event, or maybe simply bottle shock or travel shock; the wines flew there just a few days before the event...

To me, tasting out of tank before the bottling, the 2012 Beit El Carignane was one of the most consistent wines in its aging process I've ever encountered. I think because Carignane is a pretty strong and singular flavor, not so nuanced as Bordeaux varieties typically are, nor as nuanced as its mates in either the Rhone or in Rioja, where it's typically a less than 50% (sometimes much less) part of a cepage.

We keep getting really positive feedback on the Carignane from everyone who tastes it at the winery.

As for my wine, I had not yet blended it when you tasted it, right? You tasted components IIRC - Merlot Har Bracha, Cabernet Shiloh, and also a Cab/Merlot blend from Givat Yeshayhu - right? I think "lovely" is a very apt descriptor for it, but I think you will find the blend more complex and nuanced than you found the individual components when you visited us...
no avatar
User

lewis.pasco

Rank

Ultra geek

Jerusalem, Israel

by lewis.pasco » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:20 am

BTW "closed and tight" aren't descriptors I would apply to the 2012 Carignane, so I suspect it was a recent addition of SO2 that gave that impression...

Be well!
no avatar
User

Elchonon Hellinger

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:39 am

by Elchonon Hellinger » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:45 am

im coming your way in 6 weeks pasco... better hide!! I want wine and I want food dammit cartman! :evil: :twisted: