Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Anybody watch Masterchef Junior?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Anybody watch Masterchef Junior?

by Jenise » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:02 pm

Somehow I was channel surfing the other night when I tripped over an episode of the Gordon Ramsey/Graham Elliot/Joe Bastianich show, Masterchef, in which the contestants are age 9 to 13. If someone had pitched this idea to me I'd have said no way, couldn't possibly interest me, it's for kids, yada yada. Well, I watched the whole thing and then eagerly watched the next installment. And then I set my DVR to get the rest!

No child I've ever known could possibly do the things these kids did, in particular a doughy 13 year old named Alexander who not only cinched his place in the finalists with a plate of macarons--they were the most elegant, top-notch pastry chef looking macarons I've ever laid eyes on. Everything else he did was equally as mature and expert. He blew out the competition on a burger challenge with a threesome of sliders and kale chips, and only lost the final mystery box challenge by a hair to a ten year old charmer who is so small he has to stand on a stool to see over the counter.

To my complete astonishment, this was every bit as entertaining as watching adults cook, and in a lot of ways even more so. I've never seen children who could pull off what these kids are doing, and the judges all seemed to be as amazed as I was. Mind you, this show has a lot of set-up in it. It's clear that there's been some off-camera training and coaching, and none of the challenges are as spontaneous and unplanned as they're presented to be, but still, these kids are really cooking and they collectively are bringing a lot of knowledge about food and technique of a kind I've never seen in any child anywhere, though I can imagine Mike Filigenzi's daughter being up to the task!

This could be as riveting as Top Chef, I kid you not (pun intended). :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Anybody watch Masterchef Junior?

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:47 pm

I know you don't watch Giada de Laurentis but her little girl appears on the show now and then and already, at four, has an amzing vocabulary for food terms. She is in the kithcen with mom being coached already.

Our youngest son, would stand on a stool at my stove and by age 5 could make a mean omelete. He grew up cooking for himself and friends. When in his first few years of college, he worked summers in Alaska, in the kitchen, and by his third year, he became second chef. That year, he stopped off in Seattle, after his job ended and catered a wedding for 400 peolpe, for a couple had met in Alaska.
When working for the Redding Police Department I did a cookbook, as a fund raiser, one of my chapters is titled Cops Kids Cook. I got all sorts of great recipes from the officers kids, we tested each and every one of them too. Yes, kids can cook. :D Thanks for the info on that show, I will record it.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:43 pm

I watched both Aussie kids versions. The cooking was simply incredible.
I hope Gordon Ramsay & co show some tact in their critique to the kids. They were pretty nasty to some of the adult contestants - yes we get USA Masterchef here for some reason as well as the Aus and NZ versions.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:30 am

Sue Courtney wrote:I watched both Aussie kids versions. The cooking was simply incredible.
I hope Gordon Ramsay & co show some tact in their critique to the kids. They were pretty nasty to some of the adult contestants - yes we get USA Masterchef here for some reason as well as the Aus and NZ versions.

Not nasty at all; they seemed genuinely astonished and impressed. Gordon, whose tough exterior hides a pretty big heart, maybe most of all. Interesting to contemplate kids learning to cook on this level--they probably eat in higher end restaurants often (the kids' names and residential location appear on the screen, and it's hard not to notice that they come from in super-wealthy towns like Palos Verdes Estates and Pacific Palisades), and their standards for food excellence would be higher than yours or mine were at their age. They all, of course, plan on owning their own restaurant some day.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:14 pm

I just saw an ad for this show yesterday - I'll have to set the DVR for it. I'll be very curious to see what my daughter thinks of it!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:26 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:I just saw an ad for this show yesterday - I'll have to set the DVR for it. I'll be very curious to see what my daughter thinks of it!

If you have On Demand, you can also pick up the initial elimination round (what I did after becoming intrigued with the first episode of the top 12 or 15, whatever it is).
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:13 pm

Len had another hockey game last night, so I finally jumped over to Masterchef Junior OnDemand after catching up with the latest installment of Top Chef. I was completely "Wowed." Those kids can cook. I agree with everything you say, Jenise, including the obvious off-camera coaching and the kids not being as surprised as the network is trying to lead us to believe they are, but still! It is clear, Alexander was born to be a chef, and some of the others are so darned cute and creative, it's just a joy to watch. (And I've never been a big fan of watching kids do anything, quite honestly.)

I'll be watching episode 3 tonight. Little rich girl Sarah, is just adorable, don't you think?
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:42 pm

Carrie L. wrote:Len had another hockey game last night, so I finally jumped over to Masterchef Junior OnDemand after catching up with the latest installment of Top Chef. I was completely "Wowed." Those kids can cook. I agree with everything you say, Jenise, including the obvious off-camera coaching and the kids not being as surprised as the network is trying to lead us to believe they are, but still! It is clear, Alexander was born to be a chef, and some of the others are so darned cute and creative, it's just a joy to watch. (And I've never been a big fan of watching kids do anything, quite honestly.)

I'll be watching episode 3 tonight. Little rich girl Sarah, is just adorable, don't you think?

Yes, Sarah's a doll. Razar sharp-ambitious, too.

You and I are so alike--I don't dislike children, but I skipped motherhood for a reason and watching kids do kiddie things just doesn't hold any appeal. But this is entirely different. And yes, Alexander was born to do this and is in a league of his own. As the episodes progress, it becomes even more clear. I would have gladly had a gaggle of children myself if someone could have guaranteed me a child as sweet, contemplative, lovable and creative as Alexander. But alas, I'd have probably got a reincarnation of my no-good younger brother, so it's good for the world that I passed.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:42 pm

This is now being screened in New Zealand. :D
Episodes 1 & 2 down so far. It's on auto record now!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:09 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:This is now being screened in New Zealand. :D
Episodes 1 & 2 down so far. It's on auto record now!

Anyone have Dish Satellite and know where this is on the channels?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:11 pm

Know nothing about dish, Karen, but it would be a Fox channel.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:12 pm

Jenise wrote:Know nothing about dish, Karen, but it would be a Fox channel.

Thanks, I will take a look.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:16 am

I stumbled upon it in time to watch the finale. Yes, these kids have serious chef careers ahead!
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε