The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Old Corks!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Old Corks!

by Florida Jim » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:45 pm

An Italian dinner with Sam, Jean, Steve, Matt, Ilene, Rob, John, George, Diane and I. We have all known each other over 15 years; in and out of each other’s lives but always connected by the internet; and what a fine thing that connection has turned out to be. ‘Nice to reconnect in person this night.

2012 Cowan Cellars, Ribolla Gialla:
Although this wine is not of continental origin, the grape is. Acquitted itself well; bright but broad, veritally correct and a pleasant accompaniment to starters and salad courses.

1997 Mascarello, Barolo Monprivato Res.:
Over the course of the evening, it “younged up” into a still youthful but well balanced expression of Barolo. Perhaps, my favorite of the evening, but only if forced to pick.

1998 Giacosa, Barolo Rocche:
Too early to this but it still has everything one would expect from young Giacosa; just not much one would expect from mature Giacosa.

1995 Biondi-Santi, Brunello:
Firm. Oh, so hauntingly delicious but firm. Years to peak.

1985 Gaja, Barbaresco Sori Tilden:
Fully resolved, tertiary, ready and maybe, just a bit passed it; but still, a lovely wine; somewhat frail in the company.

2010 Occipinti, Frappato:
Slurp-able and much more. Maybe starting to close just a bit.

1990 Ruffino, Chianti Classico Reserva:
Tight and structured and may have much more than I found.

1980 Shafer, Cabernet Sauvignon:
Before there was Hillside, this was it; fully resolved and tertiary; a lovely diversion.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Old Corks!

by David M. Bueker » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:31 pm

That sounds like a very nice night. Looking forward to your Ribolla later this fall.
Talk less, smile more. Don't let them know what you're against or what you're for.