The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Terre Nere Recent Releases

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

WTN: Terre Nere Recent Releases

by Andrew Bair » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:06 pm

September 27, 2013 – Terre Nere Tasting, Vintages, Belmont, MA
Thank you to Vintages for arranging this event. The Terre Nere wines are always reliable expressions of Etna's terroir, and they are easy to like because they are accessible early on, without compromising their quality or depth.
I was particularly impressed with the Rosato, which I had not had since the 2008 vintage. This is a very serious Rosé, with the potential to last for a few years - and a nice value for $20. While it has contained a smidgen of Nerello Cappuccio in the past, that is no longer the case.

(Admittedly, my favorite of their four crus is the Feudo di Mezzo Il Quadro della Rose, which was not available to try here. )

2012 Etna DOC Bianco
A field blend of 60% Carricante, 25% Catarratto, 10% Grecanico, and 5% Minnella. Full-bodied, ripe, moderately acidic, with white fruit, citrus, mineral, and lightly herbal notes. Very good.

2011 Etna DOC Bianco “Vigne Niche”
100% Carricante from several tiny parcels. Full-bodied, smoky, mineral, with citrus and yellow fruit notes; lightly honeyed, with a bit of baking spice. Very good.

2012 Etna DOC Rosato
100% Nerello Mascalese. Moderately full-bodied, more structured for a Rosé; with watermelon and plum flavors; lightly floral/mineral, with some spice. Has some real depth. Excellent.

2011 Etna DOC Rosso Santo Spirito
98% Nerello Mascalese/2% Nerello Cappuccio. Moderately full-bodied, tightly structured, elegant, with smooth tannins; shows dark berry, cherry, earth, mint, and tar notes. Very good/excellent.

2011 Etna DOC Rosso Guardiola
98% Nerello Mascalese/2% Nerello Cappuccio. A bit fuller than the Santo Spirito; smooth, lightly chewy, with cherry, licorice, floral, spice, and tar notes. Very good/excellent.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Terre Nere Recent Releases

by David M. Bueker » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:06 am

Interesting notes. Vintages seems to put on a lot of good tastings!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:19 pm

The distribution of Terre Nere confuses me. The current vintage available in DC is the 2010. The vintage that was on the shelves in Ohio when I was there in August was the 2008. Apparently the 2011 is available in Mass.

The other oddity was that in Ohio where there is minimum pricing, the Terre Nere was priced lower than what I paid in DC for the 2009 or the 2010.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:30 pm

Thanks for that,Andrew. It reminds me to attend the tasting at Terre Nere's importer.
Tim York