The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Scherrer Zinfandel Old and Mature Vines 2004

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Scherrer Zinfandel Old and Mature Vines 2004

by Saina » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:46 pm

Scherrer Zinfandel Old and Mature Vines 2004
JeffG was touring these cold and dreary climes recently and he kindly brought a couple bottles with him. I was told to age this Zin, but since there's practically nothing to drink here, I wanted to open it now. Jeff told me to decant for a long time. 12 hours is what was mentioned. I thought that must be an exaggeration so I tried a small sample just after it was opened.

Super-sweet and ripe, one-dimensional; weird since Scherrer, as it was told to me, was structured and tight!

Fast forward to dinner, 13h later. Oh yeah! The morning sniff was a stereotype of Zin, but now that I'm back from work and fried a bit of dead animal, this is really starting to smell nice! It is spicy and has some berry aromas as Zin is supposed to have, and has aromas quite like Chateauneuf du Pape from those few good producers I know of (think Texier); sweet, but at least it has good structure. Spicy finish. It is a pretty big wine at 14,5% and though hugely interesting I perhaps have to also admit that it isn't quite as moreish as I hoped it would have been.

But as far as Zins go, this is the best I've had. I even preferred this to Ridge's. (Though, admittedly, I haven't had Ridge with age on it.)
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: Scherrer Zinfandel Old and Mature Vines 2004

by JC (NC) » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:06 pm

I see that a Raleigh wine shop has a Primitivo for $14.99 so I will pick one up on Oct. 11 when I go up to Durham for a ballet.
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:09 pm

Fred's OMV's do indeed beg for aging, must confess I never decanted one for 12 hours..a 2003 OMV consumed in 2012 still had plent of stuffing..I have some OMV's in the cellar that I am beginning to suspect will outlive me..regrettably I am not buying anymore OMV's for just that reason but great stuff if you are young enough and patient enough to wait anywheres from 6 years to 10, depending on the vintage.
Jon
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:43 am

Otto-I think you would have loved the 1995 Scherrer OMV Zin I drank a couple of months ago. I like them best with at least 10 years on them, although, a 2010 I drank about 6 months ago was delicious.
Diane