The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

NYTimes: Asimov on FingerLake Rieslings

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

NYTimes: Asimov on FingerLake Rieslings

by TomHill » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:44 am

Very nicely done article by Eric in today's NYTimes:
NYTimes:FingerLakeRieslings
which brings some well-deserved publicity to the area. Wish we could find some of those wines out west.
Interesting that the most controversial wine was a extended skin-contact Riesling. No surprise there. I understand they're experimenting some w/ that technique in Germany, but have not tried any yet.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: NYTimes: Asimov on FingerLake Rieslings

by David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:58 am

Lots of lees contact in Germany. I have not tried a skin contact Riesling either.

I'm sure the cool kids will let us know that orange riesling is all the rage. :mrgreen:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:09 pm

TomHill wrote:Very nicely done article by Eric in today's NYTimes:
NYTimes:FingerLakeRieslings
which brings some well-deserved publicity to the area. Wish we could find some of those wines out west.
Interesting that the most controversial wine was a extended skin-contact Riesling. No surprise there. I understand they're experimenting some w/ that technique in Germany, but have not tried any yet.
Tom

When I produced Finger Lakes Riesling in the 1980s, I did two consecutive vintages with skin contact. The first won an award and the wine lived for more than 13 years before starting to fade; the second, not so much. Ran out of money before I was able to research why the difference.

Oh, and the Bloomer Creek that Eric talked about: a producer that tries all kinds of experiments and comes up with quite an array of wines.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:25 pm

Thomas: back in the day when I spent more time than we do recently travelling the east side of Seneca Lake, I wd buy Bloomer Creek wines from a stand/store near the Stone Kat Kafe..Are they still there? If no, where is the winery located?
Jon
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:24 pm

Jon Leifer wrote:Thomas: back in the day when I spent more time than we do recently travelling the east side of Seneca Lake, I wd buy Bloomer Creek wines from a stand/store near the Stone Kat Kafe..Are they still there? If no, where is the winery located?

Jon,

They have their own space, and I believe it's close to the cafe. http://www.bloomercreek.com/
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:40 pm

Thanks, Thomas..guess they aren't that far from Damiani so we can visit both plus Lamoreaux pretty easily on same trip plus a side trip to west side of Cayuga while we are at it
Jon