The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Parachat chat room replacement

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: Parachat chat room replacement

by Sue Courtney » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:50 pm

Neil Courtney wrote:Apple does not run java on a Macbook as far as I know. Not sure why Chrome would work unless it has it's own java machine for use on Macs. :?:

I'm pretty sure I downloaded it.
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:22 pm

Sue mentioned that the guys at Wine Berserkers use Ajax Chat and she got logged on immediately. It looks like it uses PHP and HTML so needs some sort of installation work. Probably not a lot, but I have not registered with them to see what comes back.

http://www.ajaxchat.org/

It looks like the software has not been updated since 2006. Not sure if that is a good or a bad thing. But it is free.

One interesting comment...
Chat Terminologies

Moof = becoming disconnected from the Internet and/or the chat for no apparent reason. If you have call waiting enabled on your telephone line, you'll moof alot!

So is anyone moofing a lot while chatting?
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:38 pm

No
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:49 pm

Neil Courtney wrote:Sue mentioned that the guys at Wine Berserkers use Ajax Chat and she got logged on immediately. It looks like it uses PHP and HTML so needs some sort of installation work. Probably not a lot, but I have not registered with them to see what comes back.

It looks like the software has not been updated since 2006. Not sure if that is a good or a bad thing. But it is free.

One interesting comment...
Chat Terminologies

Moof = becoming disconnected from the Internet and/or the chat for no apparent reason. If you have call waiting enabled on your telephone line, you'll moof alot!

So is anyone moofing a lot while chatting?

Moofing was probably pre WiFi days.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:51 am

Not moofing here as newly renovated igloo is not ready for any electrical hook ups yet :lol:.
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:07 am

As Sue says, this was probably before WiFi, as well as broadband. Goes back to dial-up days, I suspect, where you couldn't run the dial-up and talk on the phone simultaneously. I well remember the squeal of the modem as it set up the protocols for it to talk to another computer. My first modem talked at 2400 baud. This was in the days of BBS systems in peoples homes, with large racks of modems. Now that, and the computer I was using, was SERIOUSLY slow. :shock:
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:03 pm

Neil Courtney wrote:Sue mentioned that the guys at Wine Berserkers use Ajax Chat and she got logged on immediately. It looks like it uses PHP and HTML so needs some sort of installation work. Probably not a lot, but I have not registered with them to see what comes back.

Bump.

Anyone got any comment about Ajax Chat? Has anyone used it? If so, does it work smoothly?
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:30 am

Neil, If I understand Ajax would have to be downloaded by all chatters. Is this correct? How big is this program? I still have a minimum size drive. When I got my (still) new computer
several months ago, I only put in a 160GB SSD, and that limits me. Hopefully I am wrong about Ajax. Also, would going to Ajax have any effect on the different discussion groups?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:28 am

Neil Courtney wrote:Anyone got any comment about Ajax Chat? Has anyone used it? If so, does it work smoothly?

It looks like a very simple html chat similar to one we tried in the distant past and found workable but limiting. I'm not sure the gang would be very happy with it, but I'll listen to the consensus.

(Bob H, no worries, it doesn't load on your computer; we'd install it on the WLP server.)
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:41 pm

Is anybody here familiar with VBulletin 5 (I think it is also called VBS or VB5) (link below) I see that there is a (hefty?) charge for the use of the software, but I suspect the regulars here would be quite willing to chip in a few dollars to defray that cost. I know I would.

http://www.vbulletin.com/en/
Bob Henrick
Previous