Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

That recipe link in my wine question below was a revelation!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

That recipe link in my wine question below was a revelation!

by Fred Sipe » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:42 pm

I have never cooked like that and can't remember ever eating similar food. My loss! Until now.

What an incredible flavor explosion of a meal. I made some Israeli couscous risotto-style by toasting it first in butter. And garnished it all as suggested with lemon spritzes and toasted slivered almonds.

Had the Rioja and some flatbread. OMG! I never knew...
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

Re: That recipe link in my wine question below was a revelation!

by Frank Deis » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:54 pm

Fred, I think your response to the recipe is interesting and it makes me want to try it.

BUT you didn't repost the link in this topic so everyone reads that you made something delicious, and nobody knows what it was.

CHICKEN TAGINE

http://ruhlman.com/2013/10/chicken-tagi ... pe-recipe/
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:42 am

Thanks, Frank...

I've never really cooked middle eastern style with spices of that sort. I thought it was one of the most flavorful things I've ever eaten. Or perhaps it was my frame of mind after drinking wine while letting it simmer away and smelling it for a few hours. :D
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:59 pm

Fred -- no it wasn't the wine, Moroccan food really is that good. There is something about the slow braise that gives the chicken meat in a tagine a special silky texture. Recently one of my local friends got an "itch" for making tagines and Moroccan food but couldn't find preserved lemons. I looked around and found a big jar of them for about $3 -- if you find a shop that serves the local population from that part of the world it can be really cheap. And sent it to her.

But the flavors of Morocco -- which if you think of it is mostly west of France -- are different from the rest of the "Middle East". You are right that it's included in that category but Maghreb in Arabic means "west". The use of preserved lemons is kind of rare in Lebanon and Egypt, even though there are lemon trees everywhere, and the Moroccans also use more sweet smelling spices and I would say more almonds and dates in their meat dishes. One famous sweet mixture is called "Ras al Hanout." Anyway the spices smell sweet and the dates taste sweet if you use them and those give the dish a sort of luxurious and exotic impression.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ras_el_hanout