The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

October Wine Focus: Zinfandel and its cousins

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: October Wine Focus: Zinfandel and its cousins

by Brian K Miller » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:34 am

2002 Alexander Valley Vineyards "Sin Zin". Library Tasting at the winery. Cool food, too (catered by Paloton Catering!)

Brambly, strong berry fruit. Some definitely apparant "old wine"?????? funk, though. Fresh herbal notes as well. Nice for a basic bottling zin!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:55 am

Not too shocked that there would be older character in an 11 year old zin.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:46 pm

Bruce M: just got my shipment of Bedrock wines, including some Evanghelo Vyd Zin..Be interesting to see what flavors Morgan has coaxed out of this fruit and compare to your notes re Matt Cline's Three Wine Co version
Jon
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:15 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:WTN: 2011 Peachy Canyon Zinfandel Incredible Red, Paso Robles.

Good natural cork, opened and decanted one hour just to let it breathe.
$24 Cdn, 14.5% alc. I used to see a whole bunch of Zins from PC but guess agent change so lack of consistent supply right now.

No real depth of color at all, nose has strawberry, cherry, no oak noted. Guess pretty well entry level. Initial thought on entry is some ripe fruit here, classic brambleberry, low tannins, good acidity but lighter-bodied wine.
" Blackberry..no pepper or spice" from across the table. Smooth texture, nice zinfandel for those intrigued to try.

Not much change on Day 2, just some hints of tobacco.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:03 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Not too shocked that there would be older character in an 11 year old zin.

:shock:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:05 pm

Jon Leifer wrote:Bruce M: just got my shipment of Bedrock wines, including some Evanghelo Vyd Zin..Be interesting to see what flavors Morgan has coaxed out of this fruit and compare to your notes re Matt Cline's Three Wine Co version

cool.

I actually prefered the OTHER Contra Costa vineyard when I tried them both a few months back.

More generally, I need to try some Bedrock wines!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:28 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:
Jon Leifer wrote:Bruce M: just got my shipment of Bedrock wines, including some Evanghelo Vyd Zin..Be interesting to see what flavors Morgan has coaxed out of this fruit and compare to your notes re Matt Cline's Three Wine Co version

cool.

I actually prefered the OTHER Contra Costa vineyard when I tried them both a few months back.

More generally, I need to try some Bedrock wines!

If you ever find your way out my direction, Brian, I'll open up one for you. I daresay that an Arbois-o-phile such as yourself would find a lot to like in them. Alteratively, I'll bring one out with me the next time I'm headed your way. As a former resident of Contra Costa county, I'll point out that the Cline brothers made their first big splash with grapes sourced from old vineyards in the Contra Costa delta. Problems ensued when they ran into liability problems with environmental concerns in some of those old vineyards.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:16 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
If you ever find your way out my direction, Brian, I'll open up one for you. I daresay that an Arbois-o-phile such as yourself would find a lot to like in them. Alteratively, I'll bring one out with me the next time I'm headed your way. As a former resident of Contra Costa county, I'll point out that the Cline brothers made their first big splash with grapes sourced from old vineyards in the Contra Costa delta. Problems ensued when they ran into liability problems with environmental concerns in some of those old vineyards.

Mark Lipton

Most kind, Mark

environmental concerns? Hmmmm.

By the way, my hometown is Fort Wayne, Indiana. So originally a Hoosier, too!
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:22 pm

Why is this October Wine Focus with Zinfandel not popular? Zin is an American wine and it seems from the responses that it's not well received...what's up?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:54 pm

Good point but things can get pretty slow around here these days.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:14 pm

2008 Tobin James, Dusi Vineyards, Paso Robles, Zinfandel ($38, and 16% alcohol). We look forward to popping this each year and tonight was the night.

Despite the high octane it is still a very balanced wine perhaps from the 80 year old vines in the vineyard, and the skill of the winemaker. It gives you black fruit on the nose and upfront; more rich fruit and spice in the middle along with smooooth tannin. Just a lovely finish!

We matched it with loin ends teriyaki, grilled over charcoal and wild cherry chips; along with pilaf in turkey stock, and salad with the last tomato from our garden and dark red Romaine leaves from the same place, and some store bought stuff. Excellent dinner for a lazy Saturday night!
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:04 am

Drew Hall wrote:Why is this October Wine Focus with Zinfandel not popular? Zin is an American wine and it seems from the responses that it's not well received...what's up?

Drew,
They are out there alright, just shy about coming here and professing their love :D
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49229

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49223

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49138

And besides, I think Robin is trying to scare them off! :lol:
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:07 pm

From my Facebook page:
Drinking Laura Zahtila Zin! Very nice. Maybe a touch too much oak, but nice after dinner.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

by Shaji M » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:24 pm

WTN: 2009 Shenandoah Vineyards Zinfandel,Amador County. Appealing nose. More tart on entry than I remember it being in the past. Plum and coffee notes. Although I would call it jammy, this is not over the top and would pair well with the turkey tacos we are having with dinner this evening. Alc clocks in at 14.2%.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:41 pm

2007 FORCHINI OLD VINE ZINFANDEL, PROPRIETOR'S RESERVE, Dry Creek Valley, Sonoma County, CA. Estate grown. 15.6% abv. From 90-year old vines grown on the elevated east benchland of Dry Creek Valley (dry-farmed vines). An old clone is grafted to St. George rootstock.
Very dark purple and opaque. More plummy than many Zinfandels. For such high alcohol, less heat than anticipated. Some spicy notes. It's my belief that the age of the vines contributes to the concentrated flavors and the rich material in this wine. Not a "sweet" Zinfandel--more in the style of traditional Dry Creek Valley Zin. Could be long-lived. Label recommends pairing with hearty sauces and beef or lamb. I enjoyed this. Very tasty. 89-90 points?
This weekend I will open a Primitivo and then finish the month with either a Biale Zin or one from Ridge.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:36 pm

Drew Hall wrote:Why is this October Wine Focus with Zinfandel not popular? Zin is an American wine and it seems from the responses that it's not well received...what's up?

Beats me man, the friend and fun forum gets more posts than the wine forum here.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:49 pm

TN: 2010 Four Vines Zinfandel Paso Robles.

I have always admired Four Vines and their get up and go attitude. Had a glass last night downtown... Fruity wine with medium plus spicy finish. Appealing black fruits, soft tannins. Smooth drinking wine for a reasonable price ($25 Cdn). Been a while since I tasted Biker and Maverick bottlings though.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:12 am

I've tried the Maverick and the Sophisticate before and preferred the Sophisticate.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:09 am

Zinfandel is not a big grape on this board. And I don't see what 'American wine' has to do with anything. This board doesn't skew that heavily towards American wines, does it?
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:50 am

As too many of us tend...tend towards the "elitist anti-flavor brigade" :lol:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:47 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Drew Hall wrote:... Zin is an American wine ...

... 'American wine' ...

From Croatia via Puglia via Massachusetts to Napa in the hands of a 19th century Hungarian promoter!? :shock:
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:32 pm

I think we need a feature on the "wines," fortified and "dry" of the Concord Grape! :twisted:
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

by Shaji M » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:46 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:
Drew Hall wrote:... Zin is an American wine ...

... 'American wine' ...

From Croatia via Puglia via Massachusetts to Napa in the hands of a 19th century Hungarian promoter!? :shock:

Darn immigrants! :D
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:31 pm

PreviousNext