Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Broccoli pasta kicks this simple veggie up a notch

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

RCP: Broccoli pasta kicks this simple veggie up a notch

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:54 pm

Ask yourself two questions:

1. Do I want a bowl of broccoli?

2. Do I want a bowl of delicious pasta with garlicky, aromatic broccoli on top?

Well? Which would you choose?

I know which way I'd go, and it's a simple, quick way to fashion a light veggie-based dinner or an excellent pasta course.

It didn't take long, either. Here's how:

1. Whack a good-size broccoli "tree" into florets, and cut the stem, after discarding the woody base, into small dice.

2. Bring lightly salted water to a boil in a small pot, simmering the broccoli stem dice from the start. When the water comes to a rolling boil, add the florets, cover, reduce heat to medium and cook until the broccoli is crisp-tender. Drain and reserve.

3. Start spaghetti cooking in a large pot with ample, salted water.

4. Slice two or three big cloves of garlic thin, and saute the slices in good olive oil with a little dried-red pepper flakes, black pepper and salt. Add the blanched broccoli, stir, and leave over very low heat while the flavors blend.

5. Drain the finished pasta and put it in warm bowls. Top with the broccoli and finish with a little grated Grana Padano cheese and freshly ground black pepper. Serve and enjoy.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: RCP: Broccoli pasta kicks this simple veggie up a notch

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:29 am

Sounds great Robin, I'd add sautéed mushrooms to this, and it would be just right.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:40 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:Sounds great Robin, I'd add sautéed mushrooms to this, and it would be just right.

If I'd had some mushrooms, I might a used 'em! Good point, Karen. I also thought about toasting some pine nuts and tossing them on. Basically, though, I wanted quick-and-simple, but I didn't want "quick-and-simple" to be the enemy of "good." :)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:26 am

Made your pasta/broccoli dish last night Robin. Had a busy day and this was fast and so good, I used fuscilli col buco. Sautéed white and cremini mushrooms, with lots of garlic, added white wine, and crushed red pepper, threw in the blanched broccoli, and pasta, bold black pepper. It was very tasty.