Slanted House, Clos Du Val, and Orange Wine

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Slanted House, Clos Du Val, and Orange Wine

Postby Brian K Miller » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:10 pm

2010 Clos Du Val Petit Verdot. Classic Clos Du Val character, with delicious and mouth watering acidity and that "tangyness" that I seem to find in most of their wines. Also...lovely dark plum fruit, definitely some tannins but not over the top. Nice Stuff!

2011 Slanted House Cabernet Franc. Spring Mountain, Napa County. This was a nice surprise recommended a few months ago by Rich at Groezinger's in Yountville. Even this young, the wine was pretty classic cabernet franc, with some refreshing herbal notes, that lovely cassis fruit, and a very fine-grained mouthfeel and tannic structure. I think it is that mouthfeel that really sold me on this wine! I honestly was thinking about good Chinon or Bourgeuil as I was drinking this.

Santa Cristina Chianti Superiore. Didn't catch the vintage...guessing 2010 or 2011. This wine started out quite fruity/sweet with cherry and berry fruit, but over the hour it really blossomed into a much more "classic" tangy and earthy Chianti. I know they are a "big" producer and this is one of their entry level wines, but I find Antinori a pretty darn solid choice on otherwise mediocre wine lists!

2012 Donkey and Goat Stonerusher Rousanne El Dorado County. Pale orange in color. I was able to introduce some friends to the joys of skin-contact whites! Delicious sweet Rousanne fruit with a definite citrus/orange rind character. As with the other wines this weekend (tangyness seems to be the theme) Tangy and mouthwatering character. No alcoholic burn at all. Nice stuff!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
Brian K Miller
Passionate Arboisphile
 
Posts: 7124
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:05 am
Location: Northern California

Re: Slanted House, Clos Du Val, and Orange Wine

Postby Brian Gilp » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:05 pm

Brian, what is the ballpark price on the Petit Verdot? I like PV but its not on many shelves here unless it comes from VA as I don't think it sells real well.

Any idea on the Alc on the D&G? Tangy for a Roussane makes me think its low like the Broc version.
Brian Gilp
Wine guru
 
Posts: 1457
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 6:50 pm

Re: Slanted House, Clos Du Val, and Orange Wine

Postby Brian K Miller » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:13 pm

Brian Gilp wrote:Brian, what is the ballpark price on the Petit Verdot? I like PV but its not on many shelves here unless it comes from VA as I don't think it sells real well.

Any idea on the Alc on the D&G? Tangy for a Roussane makes me think its low like the Broc version.


$35 retail, Brian.

13.9 on the Donkey and Goat. D&G are literally three doors down from Broc's new winery on Fifth Street, and they do share a philosophy. If you like Broc, you will probably like D&G. Although Luc, one of the owners at Terroir Wine Bar in San Francisco, seems to believe that D&G go higher in alcohol.

I think the tangyness comes more from the skin contact than low alcohol, though. Definitely some orange wine character, although I don't believe they are using clay yet!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
Brian K Miller
Passionate Arboisphile
 
Posts: 7124
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:05 am
Location: Northern California

Re: Slanted House, Clos Du Val, and Orange Wine

Postby TomHill » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:31 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:
Brian Gilp wrote:Brian, what is the ballpark price on the Petit Verdot? I like PV but its not on many shelves here unless it comes from VA as I don't think it sells real well.
Any idea on the Alc on the D&G? Tangy for a Roussane makes me think its low like the Broc version.

$35 retail, Brian.
I think the tangyness comes more from the skin contact than low alcohol, though. Definitely some orange wine character, although I don't believe they are using clay yet!


I don't think Tracey & Jared are using full-out orange wine techniques...yet. I think they leave the Roussanne in skin-contact only partially thru the fermentation.
Not sure if they've started to clay amphorae yet, but I think they're interested.
Tom
TomHill
Here From the Very Start
 
Posts: 3317
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:01 pm

Re: Slanted House, Clos Du Val, and Orange Wine

Postby Thomas » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:57 pm

TomHill wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:
Brian Gilp wrote:Brian, what is the ballpark price on the Petit Verdot? I like PV but its not on many shelves here unless it comes from VA as I don't think it sells real well.
Any idea on the Alc on the D&G? Tangy for a Roussane makes me think its low like the Broc version.

$35 retail, Brian.
I think the tangyness comes more from the skin contact than low alcohol, though. Definitely some orange wine character, although I don't believe they are using clay yet!


I don't think Tracey & Jared are using full-out orange wine techniques...yet. I think they leave the Roussanne in skin-contact only partially thru the fermentation.
Not sure if they've started to clay amphorae yet, but I think they're interested.
Tom


Yeah, that description did not sound to me like a true orange wine.
Thomas
Senior Flamethrower
 
Posts: 3574
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:23 pm

Re: Slanted House, Clos Du Val, and Orange Wine

Postby Brian K Miller » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:10 pm

TomHill wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:
Brian Gilp wrote:Brian, what is the ballpark price on the Petit Verdot? I like PV but its not on many shelves here unless it comes from VA as I don't think it sells real well.
Any idea on the Alc on the D&G? Tangy for a Roussane makes me think its low like the Broc version.

$35 retail, Brian.
I think the tangyness comes more from the skin contact than low alcohol, though. Definitely some orange wine character, although I don't believe they are using clay yet!


I don't think Tracey & Jared are using full-out orange wine techniques...yet. I think they leave the Roussanne in skin-contact only partially thru the fermentation.
Not sure if they've started to clay amphorae yet, but I think they're interested.
Tom



I think you are fully correct, Tom. Thanks for the clarification.

Anyway, we (my friends and I) certainly finished the bottle, so whatever they did, it worked! :lol:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
Brian K Miller
Passionate Arboisphile
 
Posts: 7124
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:05 am
Location: Northern California

Re: Slanted House, Clos Du Val, and Orange Wine

Postby Florida Jim » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:33 pm

Brian,
Thomas Brocker, the winemaker for Slanted House, works in the same facility I do. A gentle man and a very skilled winemaker who "likes acid;" he said those very words to me yesterday when he tasted my 2013 SB from barrel.
BTW, many of his fruit sources this year have really good pedigree - I think 2013 may be a fine vintage for the label.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
User avatar
Florida Jim
Wine guru
 
Posts: 1435
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:27 pm
Location: St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: Slanted House, Clos Du Val, and Orange Wine

Postby Brian Gilp » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:30 pm

Thanks Brian.
Brian Gilp
Wine guru
 
Posts: 1457
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 6:50 pm

Re: Slanted House, Clos Du Val, and Orange Wine

Postby Brian K Miller » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:53 pm

Florida Jim wrote:Brian,
Thomas Brocker, the winemaker for Slanted House, works in the same facility I do. A gentle man and a very skilled winemaker who "likes acid;" he said those very words to me yesterday when he tasted my 2013 SB from barrel.
BTW, many of his fruit sources this year have really good pedigree - I think 2013 may be a fine vintage for the label.
Best, Jim



Thanks Jim.

Please tell him he has a new fan! "Likes Acid" is music to my ears!

I have not idea why I have not tried any of YOUR wines, by the way. I saw one at Arlequin...I need to splurge!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
Brian K Miller
Passionate Arboisphile
 
Posts: 7124
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:05 am
Location: Northern California

Re: Slanted House, Clos Du Val, and Orange Wine

Postby Florida Jim » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:49 am

Brian K Miller wrote:
Florida Jim wrote:Brian,
Thomas Brocker, the winemaker for Slanted House, works in the same facility I do. A gentle man and a very skilled winemaker who "likes acid;" he said those very words to me yesterday when he tasted my 2013 SB from barrel.
BTW, many of his fruit sources this year have really good pedigree - I think 2013 may be a fine vintage for the label.
Best, Jim



Thanks Jim.

Please tell him he has a new fan! "Likes Acid" is music to my ears!

I have not idea why I have not tried any of YOUR wines, by the way. I saw one at Arlequin...I need to splurge!

Or call me and we can taste thru the line-up so you have an idea of what I offer. Harvest is in the barrel now so I have time.
Cell is 828-260-0005.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
User avatar
Florida Jim
Wine guru
 
Posts: 1435
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:27 pm
Location: St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: Slanted House, Clos Du Val, and Orange Wine

Postby Brian K Miller » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:05 pm

Thanks, Jim!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
Brian K Miller
Passionate Arboisphile
 
Posts: 7124
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:05 am
Location: Northern California


Return to The Wine Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests