Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP Chile Sauce

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

RCP Chile Sauce

by GeoCWeyer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:08 am

I just had too many tomatoes this summer. I decided to try to make a "Heinz style" chile sauce but without the sugar and corn syrup.

Chili Sauce

1 qt. peeled, cored and chopped tomatoes,
1 qt. cherry or grape tomatoes
1 cups chopped sweet red peppers, cored with seeds and white removed ( I used pimentos and, Italian frying)
hot pepper/peppers, any color,cored with seeds and white removed chopped, to your heat preference ( I used 2-3 jalapenos cut mild and chopped)
1 cup onion, chopped
1 TBS kosher salt
1-2 TBS pickling spices, depending on your taste (2 TBS –geo)
1 TBS celery seed
1 TBS mustard seed
1 cup vinegar ( I like a combination of cider and white)

In a blender, blend together the 1 qt cherry tomatoes with everything but vinegar and the remaining tomatoes . Add to saucepan with remaining chopped tomatoes and vinegar. Simmer until right thickness. Cool to room temperature and place in freezer containers. Top containers and freeze. It seems to freeze okay.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: RCP Chile Sauce

by Howie Hart » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:44 pm

My Mom used to make it. I just buy the Heinz these days. I especially like it mixed with horseradish and lemon juice for shrimp cocktail sauce.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:21 am

Howie Hart wrote:My Mom used to make it. I just buy the Heinz these days. I especially like it mixed with horseradish and lemon juice for shrimp cocktail sauce.

Howie:

What's on the Heinz label?

I especially like GeoC recipe for its lack of sugar. Wish I hadn't already used up the tomatoes. Maybe GeoC has a few remaining he could mail...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:38 am

I'm not Howie, but you got me interested:

Heinz Chili Sauce
12 oz
Tomato Puree (Tomato Paste, Water), Distilled White Vinegar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Salt, Corn Syrup, Dehydrated Onions, Spice, Garlic Powder, Natural Flavoring.

This bugs me because I don't like HFCS in principle, and I know the old Heinz Chili Sauce that I grew up with didn't have it. On the other hand, I really do like it as a umami ingredient, and I guess since I'm using it in condiment quantities it's probably not going to make me grow a third eye in the middle of my forehead.

It does p!$$ me off, though. :evil:

Not a lot of nutrition, fairly high in sodium, but again, I'm talking about using it as a spice, so that stuff isn't a killer as it might be in something I ate a lot of.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1.0 tbsp (17 g)
Servings Per Container 20
Amount Per Serving
Calories 20 Calories from Fat 0
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0 g 0%
Saturated Fat 0 g 0%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 230 mg 10%
Potassium — —
Total Carbohydrate 5 g 2%
Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%
Sugars 3 g
Protein 0 g
Vitamin A 4%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0%
Iron 0%
Copper —
Folic Acid —
Iodine —
Magnesium —
Niacin —
Phosphorus —
Riboflavin —
Thiamin —
Vitamin B12 —
Vitamin B6 —
Vitamin D —
Vitamin E —
Zinc —
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:29 pm

Robin,

I learned to read food labels many years ago because I don't want a lot of the crap that's added and I don't like paying for crap that's added--it's value/price thing.

Generally, I avoid packaged foods as much as possible.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:29 pm

I think using the grape and cherry tomatoes and maybe the dead ripe tomatoes made it possible to omit any sweetener. I know next year when I make it again I will again use the cherry and grape tomatoes!

Concerning umami, I think the concentrated tomatoes provide a sufficient amount. Commercial products use corn syrup also as a thickener so they can use less of the main ingredient. It also shortens the cooking time needed. All the thickeners reduce the product cost.

I didn't process the sauce since I had no processing time levels for a sauce with that ratio of ingredients. I am very happy so far with the result after being frozen.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:36 pm

GeoCWeyer wrote:I think using the grape and cherry tomatoes and maybe the dead ripe tomatoes made it possible to omit any sweetener. I know next year when I make it again I will again use the cherry and grape tomatoes!

Concerning umami, I think the concentrated tomatoes provide a sufficient amount. Commercial products use corn syrup also as a thickener so they can use less of the main ingredient. It also shortens the cooking time needed. All the thickeners reduce the product cost.

I didn't process the sauce since I had no processing time levels for a sauce with that ratio of ingredients. I am very happy so far with the result after being frozen.

Why were you frozen? :P
Thomas P
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:34 pm

Thomas wrote:Why were you frozen? :P

Hey this is Minnesota everything begins to freeze this time of year.

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:42 am

i make my mother's recipe which presumably was from her mother. it uses a small amount of sugar to balance the vinegar. my recipe calls for cinnamin, cloves and dry mustard. i've found that with the high acid, freezing isn't necessary. refrigeration works fine. i use it for smoked pork, beef or pork hash and for pot roast. cooking it every fall reminds me of my mothers kitchen.
david creighton
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:20 am

I took my first container out of the freezer, thawed and opened up. It tasted fine except I can see the advantage of using a spice bag and removing it when the sauce was done rather than reducing the amount and throwing it in the blender. The flavor of the pickling spices is stronger than I would like. Next time I will bag the spices and remove them when the sauce is finished.

*old blues refrain