Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Garlic Basil pesto recipe request

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Garlic Basil pesto recipe request

by Jon Peterson » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:02 am

Liz and I brought in a huge crop of basil yesterday so: Tons of pesto recipes on the web and most are similar but do you have a favorite?
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: Garlic Basil pesto recipe request

by Thomas » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:47 am

Jon Peterson wrote:Liz and I brought in a huge crop of basil yesterday so: Tons of pesto recipes on the web and most are similar but do you have a favorite?

The basic pesto can't really be improved upon much, but try using pistachio nuts in place of pine nuts.

I take the last of our basil and blend with olive oil and garlic and make ice cubes of it so that i can store it for winter and use the cubes either for saute cooking or to add nuts and cheese later for a pesto.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:52 am

I do what Thomas does. Instead of ice cubes, I use muffin trays with paper liners to freeze. As mentioned, add the cheese when ready to use.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:04 am

Redwinger wrote:I do what Thomas does. Instead of ice cubes, I use muffin trays with paper liners to freeze. As mentioned, add the cheese when ready to use.

Muffin trays? Then how do you make muffins on a cold winter day??? I rarely need ice then :P
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:48 am

I make all kinds of pesto, and love to play around with the flavors. Basically what I do is make a standard pesto recipe.....but add or substitute. To the basic recipe you can certainly add fresh garlic, however much you want. I also add fresh lemon juice and/or zest. Sometimes I make parsley, cilantro, or arugula pesto using the same measurements for regular. I favor adding less oil than called for. I use all sorts of nuts, pecans, pistachios, macadamia, almonds. I have even added Serrano peppers, jalapeño, or roasted sweet Italian to cilantro, or parsley pesto. Just play with it. You will soon get your favorites. Taste as you go, you can always add more flavor. Oh, and I play around with different oils too, walnut, almond, pistachio, and so on. I freeze my pesto in ice cube trays, then put the cubes in Food Saver bags. Be sure to label your flavors on the bag. I forgot to do that one year and had a hard time pulling the right pesto for the recipe I was making.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:27 am

Thomas wrote:
Muffin trays? Then how do you make muffins on a cold winter day??? I rarely need ice then :P

Actaully, the paper tray liners remove easily from the tray once the pesto is solidified and get putin freezer bags. This frees up the tray for other more important tasks. :wink:
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:23 am

Thanks everyone. Today's Pesto Day.
JP