The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

My 2013 Vintage

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

My 2013 Vintage

by Howie Hart » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:44 am

This is what I'm making this year in gallons.
Pinot Gris 10, Lakemont 8, Riesling 14, Lemberger 20, Gewurtztraminer 6, Vidal 8, Cayuga 13, Pinot Gris Late Harvest 10.
All are made from locally grown grapes, except for the Gewurtz, which was juice, sourced from Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ont. 4 gallons of the Riesling has been frozen for Sussreserve addition prior to bottling. The Lakemont is a bit of an experiment – it's a seedless table grape into which I added a bit of Vignoles and Cayuga from my back yard. I've never made Gewurtz before, so this is a new one for me. All will be still wines – the bubbly planned for this year is part of a project I'm bartering with a local winery – Pinot Noir and Chardonnay.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: My 2013 Vintage

by Paul B. » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:25 pm

Wow - Lakemont!

Would love to know how that turns out, Howie.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:27 pm

Paul - you have to make arrangements to meet up with me in the Niagara Peninsula.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:07 pm

I'm not familiar with Lakemont. What's it all about?
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:48 pm

It's a seedless table grape bred at Cornell and named in 1952, from the same cross that produced Himrod: http://www.hort.cornell.edu/reisch/grapegenetics/bulletin/table/tabletext3.html. The grower I buy my Vidal and Cayuga from has a large vineyard with a variety of table grapes that he sells to Wegmans and farmers markets. However, a large quantity of this year's Lakemont were turning gold and had brown spots from sun exposure, making them unsuitable for the table grape market. Several years ago, I would buy Seyval from him, but lost the vines to crown gall so he offered me Lakemont as a substitute and I was happy with the results. It's a great table grape and the wine is somewhat neutral in character, kind of like toned down Seyval.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:40 am

Howie Hart wrote:It's a seedless table grape bred at Cornell and named in 1952, from the same cross that produced Himrod: http://www.hort.cornell.edu/reisch/grapegenetics/bulletin/table/tabletext3.html. The grower I buy my Vidal and Cayuga from has a large vineyard with a variety of table grapes that he sells to Wegmans and farmers markets. However, a large quantity of this year's Lakemont were turning gold and had brown spots from sun exposure, making them unsuitable for the table grape market. Several years ago, I would buy Seyval from him, but lost the vines to crown gall so he offered me Lakemont as a substitute and I was happy with the results. It's a great table grape and the wine is somewhat neutral in character, kind of like toned down Seyval.

Thanks. Now I know why I have no knowledge of it. Table grapes ain't my thing, not that I don't eat them; just don;t study them. In fact, I don't eat the ones that come from California--they seem like water infused with a vague fruit flavor.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:33 am

Hi Howie,
Best of luck with this year’s harvest. (The “experiment” sounds like fun). Just finished performing paper chromatography test to access progress in MLF of 2013 Zin and Barbera. Things look really good; wine should be ready to transfer to barrel by Thanksgiving week. Topped up all my 2012 Zin and Barbera vintage barrels, and checked pH and SO2 concentrations, things look really promising. All the fruit came from Lodi, California.

Salute