Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Two!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: What's Cooking (Take Two!)

by Carrie L. » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:39 pm

Making a porchetta roast tonight. I rubbed a bone-in, skin-on pork shoulder with the herb/spice mixture Saturday. The fridge smells wonderful. I'll try to post photos. Len's been trying to get me to make this since I met him almost 15 years ago! (I don't like to rush into things. :D )
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:35 pm

I needed a quick one for dinner tonight. Went through my folder for quick and easy and came up with a chicken and rice dish that I had everything for. Chicken breast pieces are sautéed in olive oil and set aside. Add rice and onion to pan along with sweet fresh peppers, and sauté. One can of tomatoes is added, along with a jar of roasted red peppers. Then white wine, chicken broth, fresh rosemary, parsley, frozen petite peas, saffron and s&p. I add fresh lemon juice and more parsley at the finish.
great comport food and very tasty. Sereving with greens from the garden, baby cukes, baby turnips, and yellow pear tomatoes, with a shallot and citrus vinaigrette.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:53 pm

Porchetta.jpg
Tah Dah! The Porchetta. It was delicious. I couldn't stop picking at it, even while I was trying to clean up the kitchen after dinner! (That's a sign I REALLY like something.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:54 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I needed a quick one for dinner tonight. Went through my folder for quick and easy and came up with a chicken and rice dish that I had everything for. Chicken breast pieces are sautéed in olive oil and set aside. Add rice and onion to pan along with sweet fresh peppers, and sauté. One can of tomatoes is added, along with a jar of roasted red peppers. Then white wine, chicken broth, fresh rosemary, parsley, frozen petite peas, saffron and s&p. I add fresh lemon juice and more parsley at the finish.
great comport food and very tasty. Sereving with greens from the garden, baby cukes, baby turnips, and yellow pear tomatoes, with a shallot and citrus vinaigrette.

Karen, do you put the chicken back onto to the rice mixture and bake? Sounds tasty!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:01 pm

Carrie L. wrote:
Porchetta.jpg
Tah Dah! The Porchetta. It was delicious. I couldn't stop picking at it, even while I was trying to clean up the kitchen after dinner! (That's a sign I REALLY like something.)

Looks utterly fantastic, Carrie! Makes me realize that I need some breakfast!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:02 pm

Carrie L. wrote:Tah Dah! The Porchetta. It was delicious. I couldn't stop picking at it, even while I was trying to clean up the kitchen after dinner! (That's a sign I REALLY like something.)

That looks great. Now, I have to go to lunch. :lol:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:48 pm

Last night's dinner: bacon and eggs.

IMG_0507.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:39 pm

Ooh! Ooh! I'd like to sit at your table, too! :)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:41 pm

Carrie L. wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:I needed a quick one for dinner tonight. Went through my folder for quick and easy and came up with a chicken and rice dish that I had everything for. Chicken breast pieces are sautéed in olive oil and set aside. Add rice and onion to pan along with sweet fresh peppers, and sauté. One can of tomatoes is added, along with a jar of roasted red peppers. Then white wine, chicken broth, fresh rosemary, parsley, frozen petite peas, saffron and s&p. I add fresh lemon juice and more parsley at the finish.
great comport food and very tasty. Serving with greens from the garden, baby cukes, baby turnips, and yellow pear tomatoes, with a shallot and citrus vinaigrette.

Karen, do you put the chicken back onto to the rice mixture and bake? Sounds tasty!

No Carrie, it is all done in one pan, on the cook top. Easy cleanup
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:07 pm

Jenise wrote:Last night's dinner: bacon and eggs.

Now THAT is cool. Yum. Was there cheese in the soufflé? What kind?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:06 pm

I have marinating in the fridge, bone-in pork chops coated with olive oil, marjoram, fresh chopped sage, s & p. These will go on the grill. We love these because this produces very moist chops.
Also, new potatoes, yellow and red steamed, then coated with butter and garden parsley. Butter nut squash halves, with butter, and warm spices, baked until nicely caramelized.

For a few lunches next week, I made a soup from home made chicken stock, and loaded up the pot with zucchini, carrots, onion, fresh tomatoes, cannellini beans, , fresh green beans and a little Seme di melone to thicken the soup. Fresh bay leaves, thyme sprigs, s & p add flavor to this simple soup. I'm enjoying watching Laura Calder's French Food at Home and this is from her "how the French do veggies" episode. So far, I have found most of her food rather bland, because I prefer bold flavors. From the little I have watched, she prefers to have the food itself shine and refers to buying the best and freshest quality you can buy, which I always do. I do like to bump up the flavors, however. This weekend I want to try her cooked cucumbers, and lso the cooked radishes which are cooked in sugar water. I'm hoping the Farmer's Market still has the beautiful black radishes I saw last week.
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:39 am

Carrie L. wrote:
Porchetta.jpg

Jenise wrote:Last night's dinner: bacon and eggs.

IMG_0507.JPG

OMG....I could eat BOTH!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:21 pm

Breakfast of champions! Fresh fruit - varies with the season - and plain, unsweetened yogurt ... okay, just a dab of brown sugar to kick it up a notch. This morning's feast: a juicy ripe Bartlett pear, blueberries and pomegranate. Healthy and delicious ... what's not to like?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:38 pm

Carrie, did you wrap a pork loin with pork belly or did cook the pork shoulder?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:12 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Breakfast of champions! Fresh fruit - varies with the season - and plain, unsweetened yogurt ... okay, just a dab of brown sugar to kick it up a notch.

This is my breakfast pretty much 365 days a year. Only I don't add sugar. Although I do often add prunes.

Right now am mainly eating it with clementines, persimmons, or pears, or some combination of those three. Sometimes raspberries, as our farmers market is still churning out gorgeous raspberries, but I generally find them too light for breakfast.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:18 pm

Lovely lunch today. I am really enjoying these fresh Carolina shrimp, so I baked a few and then put them in a simple broth of ginger and soy sauce with udon noodles topped with cilantro and Japanese plum vinegar. Really nice. Side dish of sauteed carrots and cauliflower as well, because of course we need lots of vegetable content in our meals!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:21 pm

Rahsaan wrote: Only I don't add sugar.

I realize that it's a hedonistic improvisation, but I do enjoy the flavor and crunch that just a teaspoon of brown, raw or turbinado sugar adds to the mix.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:27 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Rahsaan wrote: Only I don't add sugar.

I realize that it's a hedonistic improvisation, but I do enjoy the flavor and crunch that just a teaspoon of brown, raw or turbinado sugar adds to the mix.

Yeah, similar principle for my addition of prunes, although from a slightly different angle. They bring a lot to the dish when it's blandish pears or mild melons, although it can get too intense if I have a dead-ripe persimmon.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:42 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:

Carrie, did you wrap a pork loin with pork belly or did cook the pork shoulder?

It was a skin-on pork shoulder. I have seen the recipe with pork belly, but liked the idea of doing the whole shoulder. Plus it was on sale for .79 a pound! That whole roast cost about $8.00.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:38 pm

Dinner tonight is an organic roast chicken, slathered with evoo, butter, fresh lemon juice, fresh thyme, rosemary, and stuffed with onion, lemons, more herbs. Chicken is sitting on thick slices of onion. Serving with Basmati rice, cooked in browned butter, chicken stock and fresh lemon with parsley.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Artisan Hipster Pretzel Bread by NJ

Pretzel Bread 029.JPG

Pretzel Bread 033.JPG
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:14 pm

Artisan Hipster Pretzel hooray! :wink:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:21 pm

Redwinger wrote:Artisan Hipster Pretzel Bread by NJ

Whoa! She hasn't been moonlighting as Klaus the Baker, has she? Those look remarkable!
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:27 pm

No moonlighting, but she was inspired to give these a try based upon Klaus' version we had at The Exchange last evening. IMO they were pretty darn comparable.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
PreviousNext