The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2011 Aure "Giggle Juice Classic" (Ontario VQA)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2011 Aure "Giggle Juice Classic" (Ontario VQA)

by Paul B. » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:05 pm

This creatively named red from the Beamsville area of the Niagara Peninsula is a blend comprising 91% Chambourcin (!), 5% Merlot, and 4% Cabernet Franc. It is available at the winery only, for $11.50.

The wine pours with a translucent, deep ruby colour. Aromas of hickory on redcurrant; a light nose. Light and quite tart on the entry, with some tannin coming in on the mid-palate. Cleansing and invigorating all across the palate. A gentle warmth emerges on the aft-palate (12.5% alc./vol.), with more hickory-like replays. A light-bodied red with good verve.

I was quite surprised to see a majority-Chambourcin VQA wine when I visited Aure. The last straight Chambourcin that I remember in Ontario was from Grape Tree Estate around the turn of the century. Although that winery made other wines as well, it was not around for a long time.

If you need a vinifera-oriented benchmark for this wine, I'd once again look to Northern Italy, as is the case with many red hybrids. Baco and Foch are heavier in texture than this Chambourcin-based blend, but as with those two, you wouldn't be wrong to think of this as being broadly akin to a lithe, bright Barbera - one that would go well with pizza or pasta.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca