The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Sticking Out Like A Sore Thumb

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Sticking Out Like A Sore Thumb

by TomHill » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:27 am

I receive every month a magazine called TheTastingPanel, published by TonyBlue (AnthonyDiasBlue). The magazine is an absolute joke and seems to be mostly a promotional for Southern Wine&Spirits. Though there is an occasional wine article I find of interest, it's mostly about the art of mixology and such stuff. I read it mostly for the pics of all the hot chicks (with much cleavage) and cool dudes, with hair-do's I can only dream of having. They, of course, have a tasting section of wines they've rated.
So I got my November issue and was flipping thru it, panting over the latest hot chicks and envious of all the cool dude's hair-do's, when I came to this page that stuck out like a sore thumb. Our very own LarrySchaffer, with his unique hair-do that doesn't fit in. Short, one-page article (self-written as best I could tell) about his philosophy on his Outlier GWT. Page thru:
LarrySchaffer
to pages 38-39.

Way to go Larry. The cover of the WineSpec next????
Tom
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Sticking Out Like A Sore Thumb

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:28 pm

Sort of mag they hand out in business class on Fly-Me!! Hot chicks there too.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:50 pm

TomHill wrote:AnthonyDiasBlue =absolute joke

fixed it for you :)
no avatar
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Just got here

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:18 pm

Am I the only one who will stick up for Andy Blue? He was one of my early proponents, and I recall him fondly. I did think he did a good job for Bon Apetite and the (was he the Mercury News or the Chronicle?) way back when. Admittedly, I've had no contact with him for 20 or so years. He may be a doddering old fool now, for all I know, but he has a history of competence.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Nope...

by TomHill » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:28 pm

Craig Winchell wrote:Am I the only one who will stick up for Andy Blue? He was one of my early proponents, and I recall him fondly. I did think he did a good job for Bon Apetite and the (was he the Mercury News or the Chronicle?) way back when. Admittedly, I've had no contact with him for 20 or so years. He may be a doddering old fool now, for all I know, but he has a history of competence.

Craig,
Actually, he's done some good wine writing over the yrs and I liked what he did at BonApetit.
It's just that this TheTastingPanel magazine is so lame. His editorials at the start of each issue
have been pretty vapid. This current gig is just not one of his brightest/shining moments.
Tom
no avatar
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Just got here

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:13 pm

A guy's gotta pay the bills, too.