The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Dinner with friends

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Dinner with friends

by Florida Jim » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:37 am

First:
Pecan crackers with Oveja cheese (sheep’s milk):
2005 Jean-Pierre et Jean-François, Chignin Anne de la Biguerne: Vin de Savoie at 12% alcohol; cooked pineapple, flowers and tonic water nose that gives the impression its surrounded by fresh air; the same flavors in the mouth with a pleasant tang, fine concentration, lovely balance and good cut; long, fresh finish. An excellent pairing. Imported by Charles Neal Selection and about $10; maybe the best $10 bottle of wine I ever had.

Second:
Pasta with grilled and lightly smoked onions, chopped assorted olives, EVOO and shaved parmesan:
2002 Allemand, Cornas:
The first two bottles of this I had were not inspiring - this one was terrific; lightly smoky on the nose with a complex, olive, dark fruit and meat tone profile; harmonious and grippy in the mouth with flavors that follow and expand upon the nose, good flesh, nice balance and length. My impression is more Chaillot then Reynard and even if this isn’t for long term aging, what a joy to have a 12.5%, authentic Cornas, ready now. Another excellent pairing. Imported by Chelsea Ventures and about $35; I’d buy it again.

Third:
A cake made of only pressed figs and nuts and slices of Etorki cheese (another sheep’s milk):
2001 Zenato, Amarone (375 ml):
While I applaud the format, this was rather unremarkable Amarone; not oxidized or out of balance it had relatively pleasant milk chocolate and fruit cake spice tones mixed with solid black and red fruit, 16% alcohol, texturally smooth, balanced and fair length. Not much “there” there but still a decent pairing. Imported by Locascio and about $25; I’ll not buy it again.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Dinner with friends

by David M. Bueker » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:07 am

So 2002 is good for something in the Rhone. With all the age that the wines seem to need to blossom, I guess that's almost welcome.

I have similar thoughts on the Zenato. I find their Amarone (and the Ripasso) to be "starter" wines for the style. Given the prices of some of the better examples I don't often get beyond starting. The one thing I do really like about the Zenato is that I've never had one with any notable VA. I get that in lots of other Amarone.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:26 am

David M. Bueker wrote:The one thing I do really like about the Zenato is that I've never had one with any notable VA. I get that in lots of other Amarone.

Excellent point.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:37 pm

I am always keen to try the Zenato when it shows up on the shelf. Nice entry-level wine indeed.