The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

My evening with Jorge Ramos (Taylor partnership).

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

My evening with Jorge Ramos (Taylor partnership).

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:59 pm

30 participants enjoyed a port tasting lead by Jorge Ramos. I was present to help with food and help set up etc.

The evening began with a Croft Pink Port apperitif, the first pink port ever I was told. Think best to mix with Prosecco! The Fonseca White Port was received much better I have to say, $21 Cdn, sweet, peach floral, nice and fresh on the palate.
The Fonseca Bin 27 Vintage Character Port was next in the line up. I was surprised how quite tannic it was, intense color here, cherry plum but not a big fruity finish in my mind. I have to think many new to port might turn to this wine? $23 Cdn.
The 2007 Fonseca LBV showed a different character altogether. Lighter than the above, not as tannic either. More refined, rich palate entry, not that sweet, good balance, nice spice. Oh, $29 Cdn
Flight 2 started with the Taylor Fladgate 20 Year Old Tawny Port. WOTN for me but have to add I do not buy much tawny at all! Very appealing with figs, dates, caramel, quite delicious. The `05 Fonseca Quinta do Panascal VP was pretty tasty too, first time I have sampled. $65, very good year, soft tannins, round fruits here, more advanced color, no violet on rim. Light plum and cherry, very approachable, flew off the shelf.
The last port sampled was the 2011 Taylor Fladgate VP. Have read lots of hoop-la about this wine. Nose was closed imo, but did find violets. Big, excellent structure here but so young. Blueberry, blackberry sweet entry, opulent. I know folks in Yellowknife who drink this already on a regular basis.

Great times, thanks Jorge.