Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cooked Cucumbers?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Cooked Cucumbers?

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:44 pm

I've been recording Laura Calder's French Food at Home episodes and today's caught my eye. Cooked cucumbers? Never heard of cooking them.

Sautéed Cucumber with Dill
1 English cucumber
spoonful of olive oil
s & p
chopped fresh mint or dill
Peel, halve lengthwise and seed the cuke.
cut into chunks, the size of large croûtons or slice into thin half moons. Sauté until hot and softened to your liking, about 5 min. depending on size. Season with s & p toss in the mint. Serve warm or at room temp.

She says the way you decide to cut them is up to you, and depends on what you are serving them with.

There is also a Glazed radishes "Château du Fey" recipe with the same episode. they are cooked in butter and sugar cubes. I saw black radishes at Farmer's Market last week,......
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Cooked Cucumbers?

by Rahsaan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:02 am

I first saw a recipe for cooked cucumbers in one of Alice Waters' books. She did them with butter and lemon at the end. Delicious, but for whatever reason I don't do it very often and generally make quick pickles with my cucumbers.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:50 am

It's been a long time but this prompted my memory. I used to make an Asian recipe for sausage-stuffed cucumbers.

Vertical sections were scooped out to form cups, filled with a sausage mixture and steamed. Must find that again.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:50 pm

A friend does thin longitudinal slices of cucumber on the grill which are a tasty addition to the outdoor dining staples.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:43 pm

Sautéed cucumbers are indeed delicious. If you're using an English type cucumber, you can forego seeding and peeling--your option. Just sautéed some last week with mint to serve underneath some lamb-and-bulgur-wheat stuffed collard green rolls braised in a tomato-bread broth. Wonderful!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov