Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Goat Butter

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Goat Butter

by Jenise » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:40 pm

Another new thing I tried in El Lay last week was goat butter!

This was purchased at Whole Foods Market. Snow white, it comes in a half pound block. Unwrapped, it looks grainy, but it doesn't feel grainy in the mouth. The taste is delicious--it has a delicate sour quality that we all loved, especially on a lightly sweet bread like the raisin-walnut loaf we purchased for breakfast.

Highly recommended!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

Re: Goat Butter

by Tom NJ » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:58 pm

Have you - or are you planning on - cooked with it yet, Jenise? I bet it would add a wonderful tang to simple buerre blanc or cream sauces. Good find!
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:25 am

Is it the Meyenberg brand, Jenise? I have some in my fridge right now. We get that at Natural Grocers (Whole Paycheck has it too), and love it! My favorite thing is to use it to make popcorn with on the stove top. AMAZING!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:18 am

Joy, I looked at the name but couldn't remember it, except to say it could be Jewish (so atypical for dairy products), so 'Meyenberg' fits the bill and we're likely talking about the same product. Will definitely try your popcorn idea when I have a chance to buy some for myself. (We don't have a Whole Foods nearby.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:31 am

We have goats, including a pair of doelings of a dairy breed (Nubians, who are being courted hot & heavy by the bucks this weekend). In five or so months when they kid, and when Gail and I hash out who *gets* to milk them, butter and cheese are on the agenda. If goat butter is anything like as good as goat cheese, then it should be awesome. One consideration - goat milk is naturally more homogenized than cows milk, so tougher to get butter from it.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:09 pm

Well good luck with that. The Meyenberg we had was truly exceptional. Different looking from cow butter, a bit weepy, and like I said grainy in texture, but divine. And pure white.