The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Ok it`s not the weekend yet, but Christmas wine plans?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Ok it`s not the weekend yet, but Christmas wine plans?

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:29 am

Me thinks some of us are dragging our totsies and need to think of getting organised!! I am off to Medicine Hat in S Alberta for six days, hopefully to do some riding and winter birding. Not big wine folks down there so a little education coming up!! Will probably take a Chateauneuf, Mt Riley SB, Seghesio Zin, Okanagan P Gris, Yalumba Viognier. Oh, I forgot my $40 Prosecco!!!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Ok it`s not the weekend yet, but Christmas wine plans?

by Rahsaan » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:02 pm

$40 prosecco? Do tell.

Christmas in the Maxwell family will be all muscadet and gamay, those holy grapes..
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:22 pm

Rahsaan wrote:$40 prosecco? Do tell.

Christmas in the Maxwell family will be all muscadet and gamay, those holy grapes..

Hi Rahsaan, yup, they saw me coming!!!! It`s a limited relesase, from Ruggeri the`05 VecchieViti.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:41 pm

I have an assortment of odd, local, red wines that I plan on putting a dent in Christmas Eve. (Foch, Cab Franc, Noiret, etc.)
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:49 pm

Hey Bob, have fun in the Hat. I don't recall the liquor stores having much of a wine selection down there, so I'm sure your bottles will be very welcome.

I haven't thought much about what we're drinking over the holidays. But I do have a bottle of Coppola's Sofia blanc de blanc for Christmas Eve. My wife and I always go to the in-laws for a big dinner that night and last year we found bubbly to be an effective (and more enjoyable) stand-in for Eno.

I also just bottled some apple wine and blackberry wine from the summer. I got a good mouthful of each when I was syphoning them from the carboys and can't wait to open a few bottles with the family. I've had mixed results with fruit wines in the past, but these two are excellent.

Other than that, I'm thinking ahead to our off-line in a couple weeks.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:05 pm

Howie,

Who made the Noiret? That one takes the cake for recent rarity.

Here's the SGWGG's entry on the variety:

NOIRET:
Pronounced 'nwahr-ay'. Reported to be a mid-season ripening wine grape useful for creating red wine. Derived from a NY65.0467.08 x Steuben variety cross initiated in 1973 at the NYS Agricultural Station, Geneva, NY. Appears to be a distinct improvement available to cool climate growers such as found in the N.E USA. Wines are notably free of hybrid variety aromas, with deep color and good tannins. Susceptible to mildew disease and extreme winter temperatures. No other details as yet.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:30 pm

Mike, about the glasses thingy? What do you think, do your inlaws have nice glassware?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:42 pm

Paul B. wrote:Howie,

Who made the Noiret? That one takes the cake for recent rarity.

Presque Isle in Northest, PA. When I tasted it at the winery I found it very syrah-like. I'm looking forward to it. I'm tempted to plant a few vines of it in my yard. :wink:
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:01 pm

We are having two Christmas's due to a small family problem. One daughter is coming in and leaving early, so on Saturday we are roasting a Capon with cornbread stuffing (cooked on the side), and veggies. We will wash that one down with a Finger Lakes Riesling.

On Christmas with a much bigger crowd we are roasting a goose with mashed potato stuffing (one portion in bird, and another on the side), braised red cabbage, and other veggies. We will wash that one down with a Finger Lakes Cabernet Franc.
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:45 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Mike, about the glasses thingy? What do you think, do your inlaws have nice glassware?

It's not fine crystal, but it's functional, which is what matters to me. I can swirl and sniff to my heart's content.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:01 pm

Not decided as such, but a bottle of 1970 Canon la Gaffeliere (Bdx) is now sitting upright to allow the sediment to settle, so by default is in pole position. Have reserve wines if needed (it's not like any of us will run out over the break :wink: :lol: ). As it's just the two of us, that should do us nicely though.

Will be working on the three days between xmas and new year, so won't be getting too drunk over the break 8)

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:09 pm

Nothing specific except a major attack on the cellar. My son-in-law is just getting into wine and everything is free game(except for maybe 2-3 bottles). Big effort to match food with wine. After 10 days and NYE maybe enough will be drank that I can get some of the cases off the floor and into bins.
Walt
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:49 pm

Haven't decided yet. Will be taking a _____ and a ______ to lunch with the boys in Vancouver where we will be drinking cellar gems in honor of the holiday. Christmas Eve I'll be taking Y'Quem to serve with the foie gras course I'm doing for friends with whom we always share the Eve. Christmas day, at home with prime rib/yorkshire pudd/creamed spinach, 78 Leoville Barton and I haven't decided what else, except that we will definitely treat ourselves right. We have much to give thanks for.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:41 am

Jenise, how are you coping with all the winds and lousy weather out there?
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:56 am

Well, I went to Trader Joe's bargain bin and came up with the following for Christmas Eve:

- Schloss Biebrich Sekt, trocken (dry), 11% alc/vol, $3.99
- Losen-Bockstanz '05 Riesling, Kabinett, MSR, 9.5% alc/vol, $5.99
- Parducci '05 Pinot Noir, California, 13.5% alc/vol, $8.99

In case this doesn't meet expectations, I have a nice sampling of stuff from ESJ, Goosecross, Cline and a couple of other places sitting in reserve.

Dinner will be a buffet consisting of roasted turkey breast with stuffing, a bone-in ham shank, broccoli in oil and garlic, peas and mushrooms, corn, yams (sweetened in whatever way the spirit moves me), and mashed potatoes with gravy. Zari is bringing the appetizers and dessert so I'll be surprised.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:16 pm

Three different dinners/parties/brunches, so here is my possible list. At least one of the meals will be a fairly substantial red meat night, and
I will probably make a small dent in my cellar this weekend.

Trefthan Viognier
    Chiarello Zinfandel
    Whitehall Lane Reserve Cab 1999
    Hess Collection 1999
    Stonestreet (ridgelines above Alexander Valley).
    It may be criminal to drink it so young, but I really enjoyed the 2003 Lynch Bages.
    And, maybe a good Chianti-Cab blend I enjoyed (1997 Arcibaldo)
    Merry Edwards Russian River Valley Pinot Noir
    MAYBE the criminally young but delicious Phelan cab I tried Sunday.
    Finally, Raymond Merlot.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:25 pm

Brian, that `97 Chianti should be WOTN.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:53 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Brian, that `97 Chianti should be WOTN.

Well...that's a tough one. I keep editing my list, anyway. Who knows what I will actually end up drinking (def the Arcibaldo and the Whitehall Lane, but I have a fifth growth Bordeaux-Ch. Bernadotte and a Saint Emillion (Clos Badin Thunvin) that are probably more "ready" than even a hot year (2003) Lynch Bages 2003)

Still: I've loved all of these wines when I've tried them. The Lynch Bages is just amazing, even as a baby, and the Whitehall Lane reserve was pretty nice at the winery last month, as was the Hess Collection and the Chiarello Zin.

But...the Arcibaldo was indeed stunning this summer. This is my second bottle. Not cheap, but discounted to $40s, it's pretty nice QPR.

I've so far, far, far exceeded my budget over the past six months (overspending is my major addiction, not other vices), that I am just going to have to drink through my cellar now for quite a lengthy period of time :oops: :lol: Parties like this are a good opportunity to try good wines!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach