Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

CTN: Awesome Camembert!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

CTN: Awesome Camembert!

by Brian K Miller » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:45 pm

Not a fashionable cheese. Not "artisinal" at all I'm guessing, because I bought it at TRADER JOE'S!

LE RUSTIQUE (Jean Verrier) Camembert from Normandy. Awesomely ripe and gooey and stinky. I, of course, forgot to buy crackers at Trader Joe's today, but I have been literally dipping my fingers in the gooey goodness. Darn, this is delicious!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: CTN: Awesome Camembert!

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:19 am

Brian K Miller wrote:Not a fashionable cheese. Not "artisinal" at all I'm guessing, because I bought it at TRADER JOE'S!

LE RUSTIQUE (Jean Verrier) Camembert from Normandy. Awesomely ripe and gooey and stinky. I, of course, forgot to buy crackers at Trader Joe's today, but I have been literally dipping my fingers in the gooey goodness. Darn, this is delicious!

Another one of the cheeses I bought recently that had a horrible amonia taste. Is that normal? It was not from TJ's though. I had to throw it out.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:44 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:Another one of the cheeses I bought recently that had a horrible amonia taste. Is that normal? It was not from TJ's though. I had to throw it out.

That's what happens when cheese gets too old. Cheese, especially ripe cheese varieties, is a little like wine in this regard, only the aging curve is much quicker. Once it goes around the bend, it's gone. :(

But to state the response another way, a good, ripe but fresh Camembert should not smell like ammonia. Not at all. (And on the other end of the curve, if you open it too young, when it still has a firm, kind of "swiss"-like consistency, it's just bland and boring. You want it when it starts getting a little runny, but then you want to eat it up.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:48 pm

Soft cheeses usually go through the same evolution from firm, through soft and gooey to (if you leave them long enough) the ammonia-ridden senescence of a good cheese that went too long.

Classic example of a cheese that follows that path is the Vacherin de Mont d'Or from France (also a version from the other side of the border in Switzerland). Wonderful cheese you eat with a spoon or slather on rustic bread when in top shape, but a definite anti-personnel chemical weapon if you leave it too long (I've got one on order for this December)
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:04 pm

Persimmons, avocados, cheese... a lot of things are best when they're really, really ripe, i.e., the day _before_ they start going bad. :wink:
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:14 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Persimmons, avocados, cheese... a lot of things are best when they're really, really ripe, i.e., the day _before_ they start going bad. :wink:

au pic, n'est ce pas?
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:07 pm

Thomas wrote:au pic, n'est ce pas?

I'm more accustomed to hearing it as "au point," but maybe it's a regional French distinciton?
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:43 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Thomas wrote:au pic, n'est ce pas?

I'm more accustomed to hearing it as "au point," but maybe it's a regional French distinciton?

Yes, au pointe is more usual...au pic is probably more formal...au fuhgedaboudit. :)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:11 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:Not a fashionable cheese. Not "artisinal" at all I'm guessing, because I bought it at TRADER JOE'S!

Another one of the cheeses I bought recently that had a horrible amonia taste. Is that normal? It was not from TJ's though. I had to throw it out.

Mine was not over-ripe or ammonicac. Luck of the draw, I guess.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach