The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Internet Crap?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Internet Crap?

by James Roscoe » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:19 am

I received the following from someone I usually trust on wine issues. What do the members of this esteemed foum think?

WATER...... It has been scientifically proven that if we drink 1 litre of water each day, at the end of the year we would have absorbed more than 1 kilo of Escherichia coli bacteria found in feces. In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of poop!

However, we do not run that risk when drinking wine (or rum, whiskey, vodka, beer or other liquors) because alcohol has to go through a distillation process of boiling, filtering and fermenting.

WATER = Poop
WINE = HEALTH

Free yourself of Poop, drink WINE!!!

It is better to drink wine and talk s---, than to drink water and be full of s---.

Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: Internet Crap?

by Thomas » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:31 am

James Roscoe wrote:I received the following from someone I usually trust on wine issues. What do the members of this esteemed foum think?

WATER...... It has been scientifically proven that if we drink 1 litre of water each day, at the end of the year we would have absorbed more than 1 kilo of Escherichia coli bacteria found in feces. In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of poop!

However, we do not run that risk when drinking wine (or rum, whiskey, vodka, beer or other liquors) because alcohol has to go through a distillation process of boiling, filtering and fermenting.

WATER = Poop
WINE = HEALTH

Free yourself of Poop, drink WINE!!!

It is better to drink wine and talk s---, than to drink water and be full of s---.

Last three words are the operative for the whole post...

First, wine is never boiled--not intentionally.

Second, what about those of us who drink filtered well water?

Third, the thing sounds more like tongue-in-cheek, at least I hope it is.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:50 am

To me it highlights the ridiculous fruits of closed-circuit logic (and are these ever visible in everyday life, BTW) . . . but is nevertheless enjoyable to the ears of this and probably most wine lovers. :D
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:47 pm

It's a joke, mate. :lol:
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:24 pm

Here's the deal, I don't think the person who sent it to me meant it as a joke. I would have assumed that it was some kind of put on, but I didn't give you the entire context as I have a business relationship with this person and I didn't want to make them look like a fool.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:30 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Here's the deal, I don't think the person who sent it to me meant it as a joke. I would have assumed that it was some kind of put on, but I didn't give you the entire context as I have a business relationship with this person and I didn't want to make them look like a fool.

Oh, James, that person did it all alone, without your help. :wink:
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:57 pm

So they are saying each litre of water contains 0.3g of E coli? That is a vast amount, and I would not go anywhere near a water supply that could not filter water properly. If I ever come to the US I think I will buy bottled water. Or is this contaminated as well? :o

PS. I don't think so. :D

There is another version around that says if you drink too much water you die. Water is toxic in large quantities.
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:14 pm

EPA's "Total coliform rule" states that if any E. coli is found in a drinking water supply, that supply is deemed contaminated and must be cleaned up within X days. Thus, your friend's email is either based on ignorance or a joke in questionable taste. The larger point of wine being safer to drink than water is certainly historically true, but largely irrelevant today.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:40 pm

Neil Courtney wrote:So they are saying each litre of water contains 0.3g of E coli? That is a vast amount, and I would not go anywhere near a water supply that could not filter water properly. If I ever come to the US I think I will buy bottled water. Or is this contaminated as well? :o

PS. I don't think so. :D

There is another version around that says if you drink too much water you die. Water is toxic in large quantities.

Neil, to quote W.C. Fields when handed water to drink: "do you know what fish do in there?"
Thomas P
no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Just south of SLC

by AaronW » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:44 pm

Sounds like someone has an agenda and it's not-- getting people to drink more water. Like Thomas said it's probably a tongue-in-cheek kind of deal. I say it's a scare tactic of some kind for some stupid reason.
I bet if we could round up a water salesman he'd be able tell you how much crap you'd be drinking if you drank a liter of wine a day over the course of a year and give you a reason why water is so much better! Sounds like propaganda material to me or just some kind of statistical spin job, but thats just me.
"Wine can of their wits the wise beguile;
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile."

- Homer 900 B.C.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:31 pm

James, search on the phrase

"more than 1 kilo of Escherichia coli bacteria"

on Google. You will get at least 373 hits.

Some of the sites are hilarious. My favorite, and perhaps the first site to publish this piece: http://www.zianet.com/tedmorris/dg/beer.html

Diego Garcia has a dark history in many respects, but this is military humor at a very high level.

Enjoy!
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:33 pm

Thomas wrote:Neil, to quote W.C. Fields when handed water to drink: "do you know what fish do in there?"

I think you're being kind, I believe it was 'I don't drink water, fish **** in it.'

The Italians say that water makes your insides rusty.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:05 pm

Oliver McCrum wrote:
Thomas wrote:Neil, to quote W.C. Fields when handed water to drink: "do you know what fish do in there?"

I think you're being kind, I believe it was 'I don't drink water, fish **** in it.'

The Italians say that water makes your insides rusty.

Oliver,

The line had to be cleaned up for the screen. WC was the same on or off screen, except that he had more money off screen and in a variety of banks throughout California, and maybe beyond...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:19 pm

Oliver, FWIW, James Curtis writes in his definitive biography of Fields [W.C. Fields: A Biography], page 472:

"Some of the quips attributed to Fields are best regarded as urban legends. I could not, for example, find a credible source for his oft-quoted remark about water: "Never drink the stuff: fish **** in it."

Regards, Bob