The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

November Wine Focus: The wines of Piemonte

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Langhes

by Rahsaan » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:51 am

Another bottle of the 2011 Produttori del Barbaresco Langhe Nebbiolo and it is delicious and easy to drink, but the high-octane element is starting to annoy me. The 14.5% is quite evident and the flavors are not quite pruney but could be a bit fresher for my tastes. I've enjoyed serving this at dinner parties for the past two months, but not sure I will buy any more.

The 2010 Vajra Langhe Rosso is also delicious and easy to drink. I suppose one shouldn't fault it for being 'simple' given the $15 pricetag, and given my love of monocepage wines I'm not sure I love the blended flavors. But if the purpose is providing a fresh fruity and food-friendly wine then it does the job very well.
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

2011 Matteo Correggia Barbera d'Alba

by Joy Lindholm » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:59 pm

This is my favorite Barbera year after year. It is a very bright and expressive wine and not weighed down by too much oak, as some of the styles of Barbera these days tends to lean toward. Fresh, fruity with a lovely acid core, this wine might replace my usual Morgon on the Thanksgiving day table this year!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: 2011 Matteo Correggia Barbera d'Alba

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:09 pm

Joy Lindholm wrote:This is my favorite Barbera year after year. It is a very bright and expressive wine and not weighed down by too much oak, as some of the styles of Barbera these days tends to lean toward. Fresh, fruity with a lovely acid core, this wine might replace my usual Morgon on the Thanksgiving day table this year!

Nice report Joy. I was looking at this wine only the other day and thought "guess no-one else will find this".
no avatar
User

Thomas G

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: November Wine Focus: The wines of Piemonte

by Thomas G » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:23 pm

2011 Produttori Langhe Nebbiolo was somewhat sweet on its own, which may have been the alcohol, but it was good nonetheless. It was not a good match with the food choices but that wasn't the wines fault.
no avatar
User

Thomas G

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:14 pm

by Thomas G » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:27 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Well, I just picked up two candidates for sacrifice on the altar of this month's wine gods:

* Rocca 2009 Barolo, a $13.99 special at Trader Joe's. I do not bring high expectations to this wine, and a mixed bag of reports on CellarTracker suggests that I'm probably wise not to save it for a special occasion.
http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1584849
Still, it ought to be drinkable. I've found that TJ's crazier-sounding bargains are usually at least "good enough for dinner."

* Cascina Ca' Rossa 2010 Langhe Nebbiolo, $19.99 at Whole Foods. I hope I'm happy. Couple of nice reports from CellarTracker on the 2009.

Any of you have thoughts on these wines? Do any of you have thoughts based on actual tasting? :mrgreen:

I'm always suspicious of a cheap Barolo. $13.99 seems especially suspect.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

'09 Rocca dell Olmo, Barbaresco

by Carl Eppig » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:16 pm

2009 Rocca dell Olmo, Barbaresco DOCG. $10.99 Trader Joes, and alcohol level $13.5%. It doesn't say DOCG of what other than Italy. The word Piemonte is nowhere on the bottle! Having said all that. it is a very nice wine for the price. It gave a mixture of red and black fruit, a smooth middle, and decent finish. We matched it with pasta in our Italian tomato sauce, broiled fennelly Italian sausages, and salad in creamy goat cheese dressing. Very nice Thanksgiving Eve dinner.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: 2009 Vietti Barbera d'Asti Tre Vigne

by JC (NC) » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:34 pm

14% abv. Purple-red color; crimson edge. Has viscosity. Dark fruited and quite fruity in taste. This also shows a leafy or herbal component. Mild in tannins, this is easily consumed now with spaghetti and meat sauce. (The spaghetti was take out Nov. 20 from the world's largest spaghetti dinner--11,000 meals served by Saints Constantine and Helen Greek Othodox Church in Fayetteville, NC with the money going to charities around town.)
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:38 pm

How did I miss this thread? My favorite topic!

Drunk to start with on Thanksgiving, Nebbiolo Rosé classic method sparkling wine 'Rosanna,' Germano Ettore; very pale pink, slight coppery hue; aroma and flavor of wild strawberries, with floral hints; very dry but still expressive, distinctive and fun to drink. (I import Germano for my market.)
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm

Like Oliver, I also missed this thread. November was a very busy month here, but I did manage to get a few Piedmontese wines in:

1998 Tenute Cisa Asinari dei Marchesi di Grésy Barbaresco Martinenga Camp Gros
Nose is full of tar, roses, cherries, leather, and tobacco. Full, smooth, round, full of finesse, nicely balanced, with notes of cherries, dark berries, plums, tar, baking spices, and a bit of sweet oak. Finishes with notes of tobacco and wintergreen. Excellent/outstanding.

2006 Azienda Agricola Guido Porro Barolo Vigna Lazzairasco
From a subsection of the Lazzarito cru. Opened about 12 hours before pouring. This is still a firmly tannic, very dry, staunchly traditional Barolo; medium-bodied, with notes of sour cherries, cedar, stones, roses, and tar. The second day brings a rounder, quite enjoyable, classical young Nebbiolo into focus; nicely balanced, with attractive sour cherry and red plum flavors; roses, tar, and spices; maybe a touch of leather. The tannins are still not integrated by this point, though. Undoubtedly a very densely structured Barolo that will need a lot of time.

2005 Tenute Sella Bramaterra DOC
Nebbiolo 70%, Croatina 20%, Vespolina 10%. Medium-bodied, more compact, well balanced, with moderate acidity; very stony/lightly volcanic, with flavors of cherries, mixed berries, and tar; slightly rosy. Very good.

2011 Poderi Luigi Einaudi Dogliani DOCG
Light to medium-bodied, moderately round, built to drink early on; lightly earthy/spicy, with dark berry and cherry flavors. Good/very good; pleasant, albeit simpler and less structured than their Vigna Tecc.
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:46 pm

And, from a tasting that I went to earlier in November. The Pelissero Dolcetto, IMHO, is a steal.

November 9, 2013 – Non-Nebbiolo Wines of Piedmont, Vintages, Concord, MA

2010 Vietti Barbera d’Alba DOC “Trevigne”
A three vineyard blend – NOT from a single cru like the similarly named Barbera from Clerico. Medium-bodied, smooth, with good acid lift; round, with cherry, plum, vanilla, and lightly floral notes. Very good. $18.

2011 Azienda Agricola Giuseppe Cortese Barbera d’Alba DOC
A bit fuller than the Vietti, with slightly darker fruit, and a bit of earthiness; still, nicely balanced. Very good. $20.

2011 Azienda Agricola Vitivinicola Giorgio e Luigi Pelissero Dolcetto d'Alba DOC Munfrina
From a single vineyard. Full-bodied, moderately tannic, round, rather earthy, lightly floral, with dark berry, cherry, and spice flavors. Excellent, and a bargain for $17.

2011 Cantina del Pino Langhe DOC Freisa
From old vines in the Ovello cru, but not labeled as such. Medium-bodied, frizzante, with good acidity; earthy, lightly mineral, with red berry, plum, and rose aromas/flavors. Always reliable, and very good once again. $15.

2011 Cantina del Pino Barbera d’Alba DOC
Full-bodied, with smooth tannins, and moderate acidity; a bit tarry, with dark berry, cherry, and plum notes. Very good. $21.

2010 Azienda Agricola Castello di Nieve Dolcetto d'Alba DOC Basarin
From another single vineyard. Full-bodied, with slightly firmer tannins; a bit leathery, with dark berry, cherry, and spice notes; a bit of bitterness adds complexity. Very good+. $19.

2010 Azienda Agricola Sottimano Barbera d’Alba DOC “Pairolero”
Full-bodied, a bit more structured, moderately acidic, darker in profile than most, without approaching overripeness; shows cherry, blackberry, cassis, and mineral notes. Very good+. $21.

2010 Azienda Vitivinicola Braida di Giacomo Bologna Barbera d’Asti DOCG Bricco dell’Uccellone
The standard bearer in modern-styled Barbera. Full-bodied, ripe, with big, smooth tannins, and bright acidity; tastes of cherries, currants, and vanilla, with baking spice and floral notes. Excellent. $64.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:49 pm

win_fried wrote:The Elio Grasso may have been too young. The oak was a bit dominant, and we liked it best on its own.

Just for your information, there is no new or small oak in the Gavarini Vigna Chiniera, only large botti. The only Barolo they make with new oak is the Rüncot.

Cheers,
/Anders
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:50 pm

Andrew Bair wrote:Like Oliver, I also missed this thread.

Unfortunately, so did I, but I'll try to fill in with some notes during the nearest days.

/Anders
Previous