Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Grillin in the Snow

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Grillin in the Snow

by Carl Eppig » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:37 pm

We have a house guest for the weekend, and the forecast looked good so Friday night I put some loin ends into marinade for Beef Teriyaki, and soaked some wild cherry chips. Last night I fired up the charcoal grill, and when the fire was ready I took the meat out and put it on the grill with the chips and it started snowing!!! It took a little longer to cook, but it came out right. The first time I ever grilled in the snow!!!
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: Grillin in the Snow

by Lou Kessler » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:41 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:We have a house guest for the weekend, and the forecast looked good so Friday night I put some loin ends into marinade for Beef Teriyaki, and soaked some wild cherry chips. Last night I fired up the charcoal grill, and when the fire was ready I took the meat out and put it on the grill with the chips and it started snowing!!! It took a little longer to cook, but it came out right. The first time I ever grilled in the snow!!!

What's snow?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:47 pm

Fun, isn't it. We grill all year long, no matter what the weather. :)
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:53 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:The first time I ever grilled in the snow!!!

Rookie! :)
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:05 pm

Okay, I'm just going to say it. Maybe it's just because I've used a cheap Weber kettle in these experiments, but I generally find that below a certain temperature in the 30s, the cold seeping in slows cooking so much that the results aren't up to par. Yeah, I know, don't keep taking the lid off :oops: but I've found this to be a problem even when I'm careful.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:00 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Okay, I'm just going to say it. Maybe it's just because I've used a cheap Weber kettle in these experiments, but I generally find that below a certain temperature in the 30s, the cold seeping in slows cooking so much that the results aren't up to par. Yeah, I know, don't keep taking the lid off :oops: but I've found this to be a problem even when I'm careful.

Yea,I don't send Gene out in that cold of weather, but now and then he tells me it is going to take longer to heat up the grill. We have a solid roof on our patio and his big gas grill has a commercial fan above it with a light. He can stay fairly warm just by being next to it. We have a Weber Kettle too, but it is used once a year for a method called Pandora's Turkey, where we have to use exactly 5 lbs. of charcoal, prep the turkey a certain way, cover and not peek until 2 1/2 to three hours have passed. Works like a charm every time and no fuss. Turkey comes out beautiful. Only way our adult kids prefer it. I like it because it is easy, and out of my hands.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:06 am

Robin Garr wrote:Okay, I'm just going to say it. Maybe it's just because I've used a cheap Weber kettle in these experiments, but I generally find that below a certain temperature in the 30s, the cold seeping in slows cooking so much that the results aren't up to par. Yeah, I know, don't keep taking the lid off :oops: but I've found this to be a problem even when I'm careful.

First, to me, the cheap Webbers aren't cheap, just less expensive.
Second, I have observed the same longer cooking times when temps dip. I do grill year round and on cold windy evenings I really dump on the charcoal and add a little extra lighter fluid.
Lastly, if I could ever figure out how to make the size of my pictures smaller, I've got a pic of my grill cooking Bul-Kogi after I shoveled it out of three feet of snow.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:12 am

Jon Peterson wrote:First, to me, the cheap Webers aren't cheap, just less expensive.

Absolutely, Jon. Poor choice of words on my part ... I wouldn't own one if it was "cheap," but I'm glad it wasn't expensive. :)

Lastly, if I could ever figure out how to make the size of my pictures smaller, I've got a pic of my grill cooking Bul-Kogi after I shoveled it out of three feet of snow.

There should be some simple free applet you could get that makes it easy to re-size a picture and save the altered version. Do you use a PC or a Mac? In Mac, the resident "Preview" app makes it easy. Post a separate question, and I'm sure one of the PC gurus will pop up with an easy answer and instructions. :)
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:06 pm

Done, Robin and thanks.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:56 am

My father-in-law commonly grills burgers on the days around Christmas, and he lives in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Unfortunately, I've never discussed this with him so I don't know what kind of adjustments he makes to account for the freezing cold.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:53 pm

I have a very small charcoal grill. In cold weather I cannot be certain that enough of it will catch at the same time to allow me to cook. I think a gas grill would not have these problems, esp. if it has a lid.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:21 pm

I use gas grill year round, but definitely slower in winter temps, and requires more top-down preheat to get a sear.
Even a cool fall evening means a a slight slowdown I find
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:41 am

I grill all year long and have grilled in the snow many times. Everybody thinks you're crazy until dinner is ready! I pull the Weber under the breezeway and try to determine the direction of the wind so that it works to my advantage by positioning the air holes on the lid in its direction so that it helps keep the coals lit and hot (something else that can be tricky in cold weather). It took me a couple times to figure out that it takes a little longer to cook this way when the weather is cold, even more so when its damp and cold for some reason. But, today I factor that into my cooking and I find I can keep a good hot chamber for 1.25 to 1.5/hr before I have to lift the lid and replenish coals. This is one of my favorite things to do -- cook on the Weber in cold weather, kind of brings a bit of summer to the dinner table. :D
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:36 am

OK, I shouldn't mention this until the patent comes through but...I add ~25% lump charcoal to the briquettes during the colder weather to the trusty Weber. The lump seems to burn hotter.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:54 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:I have a very small charcoal grill. In cold weather I cannot be certain that enough of it will catch at the same time to allow me to cook. I think a gas grill would not have these problems, esp. if it has a lid.

Jeff-
Do you use a chimney type starter? If not, something to consider...they work great!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:55 am

Redwinger wrote:
Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:I have a very small charcoal grill. In cold weather I cannot be certain that enough of it will catch at the same time to allow me to cook. I think a gas grill would not have these problems, esp. if it has a lid.

Jeff-
Do you use a chimney type starter? If not, something to consider...they work great!

My grill _is_ a chimney type starter! Seriously. It's a bucket with holes in the side, a shallow steel pan with holes in the bottom (which fits just inside the collar of the bucket), and a grill on top.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:49 pm

If I'm grilling just for me I don't even use a grill. Just the chimney starter with a grate on top! And for breakfast, in a cast iron skillet atop that grate.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:16 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:

First, to me, the cheap Webbers aren't cheap, just less expensive.
Second, I have observed the same longer cooking times when temps dip. I do grill year round and on cold windy evenings I really dump on the charcoal and add a little extra lighter fluid.

Depends on where you store your photos, Jon, but I use Picasa. When I choose to prepare a pic for export to a website like this, it offers me the ability to choose the pixel size of the end result. I would presume most picture processing sites would do likewise. Too bad this site's software requires that extra step instead of handling it automatically the way Facebook, say, does.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:06 pm

Jenise said: Too bad this site's software requires that extra step instead of handling it automatically the way Facebook, say, does.

I agree Jenise.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:42 pm

Redwinger wrote:Do you use a chimney type starter? If not, something to consider...they work great!

I enthusiastically second that. Works like a charm, and never any worries about lighter fluid giving your food a petrol taint.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:51 pm

We use an electric starter; and did again tonight in 25 degree weather. Could be the last loin end Teriyaki for the season.