The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: "Mo' Betta"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Just south of SLC

WTN: "Mo' Betta"

by AaronW » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:26 pm

A couple of weeks ago (Dec. 2nd), I posted a TN from an experience with my first Alsace Gewurtztraminer-- Gettin' Spicy.
And the wine just so happened to be---much to my dismay as I later learned from forumite response---from the much loathed and despised 2003 vintage. Therefore, I was encouraged by my fellows on the forum (thanks Otto & Bob P.) to try one from a different vintage. I was much obliged to do so, so I picked up a bottle of:

2004 Pierre Sparr Alsace Gewurtztraminer Reserve 13.5%alc.

Well, Hell! This is way Mo' Betta! (if you please)
A far cry from that '03 rubbish!

This has a great aromatic rose petal-ish nose with fruit and spice (of course). On the palate it's dry but luscious, great intensity with tropical fruit notes, a bit of minerality, theres even something else here-- I think I'm going to call it a little -creamy, not to mention the great balance of acidity and that great "gewurtz" spice that typifies this illustrious noble.
This is no doubt what my "Al-Gewurtz" experience was/is supposed to be like.

Well, hope has been restored, and my formerly doubtful attitude has been adjusted. This is most certainly a delightful "Vin d'Alsace"!
"Wine can of their wits the wise beguile;
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile."

- Homer 900 B.C.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: "Mo' Betta"

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:33 pm

There you go Aaron!!! Now that one sure sounds like a typical Gewurtz to me. Time to dig one out of my cellar so thanks for the reminder. If you like sparkling wines, perhaps consider a Brut from Alsace? Good choices in most places I`d say.